Shirley R
Shirley R
  • Marietta, GA
Asked on Mar 29, 2012

trimming back hibiscus and mulch from trees??

LuluVera BlakleyFlowerscapes Garden Design & Landscaping
+5

My first question is should I trim the dead stems on the hibiscus?? Second question is I had my electric company deliver mulch which is free instread of buying pine straw, but now I have to spread it and want to know how close it should go to trees and plants, knockout roses, japanesse maple tree, loropetaluim. This is a hugh island in the front of my house. How thick should I lay the mulch?? I have some concerns now that the weather is so hot so early maybe I should have gotten pine straw instead? Will this mulch cause bugs or termites, ants or etc?? I have already put down ant killer on beds along the grass and drive and have noticed some along the walk and island up to the front porch. I can take a picture and post it if you suggest. Please give me some feed back as I need to get busy on this mulch project if it is a postive to have in my islands/yard.. If not I will get rid of it some way!!!! Thanks
  • Walter Reeves

You're fine to use the mulch as long as you keep it away from the base of the tree/shrub and as long as the mulch layer is 2" or less. Mulch does not cause termites to attack your home but it does provide a good environment for insects....which is good because it's a part of natural decomposition.

Shirley, you are fine to cut back back dead stems on the hibiscus. Follow Walter's advice on the mulch.

• Shirley R

Thank you Walter and Douglas for your helpful advise!!! I have got to get started on that mulch OH! Me! what did I get my self into!!! You both have a great day.

Just focus on how good it will look when the mulching is done, Shirley.

• Shirley R

I will post a picture when it is completed!! Yew!!

• Keep the mulch pulled back at least 2-3" from the trunk of any tree or shrub, especially roses. If against the trunk, the mulch will keep moisture in against the trunk, promoting decline.

• Vera Blakley

The mulch that I use is made from recycled rubber. I love it.

• Lulu

does anyone know to naturally kill pill bugs?