Asked on Mar 29, 2016

Problem with dying sprayers with DIY green cleaners

Diane RichBonny McDanielNancyMaria
+11

I love using vinegar and tea tree and citrus for my everyday cleaner and I bought a bunch of smaller bottles in the hair-care isle so I could have one in each bathroom, the kitchen, laundry, etc. After a couple of weeks they do not pump and spray any more.........Help cause I hate lugging around the 1/2 gallon (exaggeration) industrial Home Depot bottles all the time and have arthritis in my hands & wrists.
  • Rita
    Rita

Try soaking the sprayer in hot water for a few minutes and then use an old toothbrush on the nozzle to remove any buildup. After this try spraying the hot water through the sprayer to remove any residue.

• NancyMaria
      NancyMaria

@Rita Have done that, short fix. I am wondering if the combo is dissolving parts since these are not the industrial type.

• Linda Johnson
    Linda Johnson

I know that this is a very acidic spray. Perhaps it damages the spray bottle parts. Are there squeeze bottles that you can use to spray that doesn't have metal parts?

• Bonny McDaniel
    Bonny McDaniel

Yes, that was my first thought...if the cleaning solution is destroying the gunk, it is probably eating away at the plastic. After you finish cleaning, you might have to empty the contents and rinse out the sprayer.

• KKAbsherwrites
    KKAbsherwrites

Vinegar eats away rubber and metal over time so that is probably the issue. Re-use bottles from cleaners that ran out and toss when it no longer sprays or go to the dollar store and use those until they stop spraying and insert new sprayer or transfer to another spray bottle.

• Laura Brock
    Laura Brock

Some of the "industrial" spray bottles available at Sam's Club or janitorial supply companies might hold up longer.

• Ann
    Ann

I have never had luck with spray bottles that were not heavy duty for keeping those cleaning supplies in. Small cheaper bottles gum every time so I don't buy them any more.

• Bonny McDaniel
    Bonny McDaniel

If you have an Ace Hardware near you, watch their sales. I've bought nice size, fairly heavy duty, sprayers there for $3 or less apiece. I have cleaning solutions, plant fertilizers and herbicides in some of them.

• NancyMaria
      NancyMaria

@Thank You Bonny McDaniel I was looking inside the pumping area and it is jamming up at the spring, the spring will not move. I will check Ace, its about 28 miles one way, love the country. lol

• NancyMaria
    NancyMaria

The springs are jammed/locked up. They were 3.00 but not worth the price. Going for more industrial style sprayers. Thanks for the help.

• Bonny McDaniel
    Bonny McDaniel

I've only been to Elko once...broke down with our tent trailer. But the hospitality was great as we waited for the morning to come so we could get another tire...man, wife, seven kids and a puppy! I don't know what the regular price on those Ace bottles are...maybe higher in your area, too. Good luck.

• Diane Rich
    Diane Rich

sorry

• Diane Rich
    Diane Rich

SOFT 'N STYLE Clear Spray bottle 16oz pack of 6 9.27 AMAZON I LOVE THESE SPRAYERS...perfect size and use for vinegar, alcohol and all cleaning supplies. I've had these for at least a year and they are very good.