Rust Restoration

I picked this rusty fire pit out of the bowels of trash hell! I wanted to use it outdoors as a hanging light or fill it with sedum as a vertical garden. But in order for it to not eventually disintegrate, I had to do some restoration.
You can do this with anything rusty that you want to be able to use but not have it continue to rust. This process is sooo simple! See the pictures for explanation and then
Before
Before
Before
Before
Brush on boiled linseed oil and let dry completely. I let mine dry in the sun for a day.
Seal it with two coats of Helmsman outdoor poly in satin. Let dry completely.
Go find yourself a rusty fire pit and enjoy it on a table, as an architectural detail in your house or as a light!
Reposhture Studio - Kim

• Syl28174573

After the boiled linseed oil is dry do you sand it off or just cover it with the next step.

• Savvysalli

Or fill the bowl with white vinegar. Let it soak (I usually do 24hrs as I have plenty of other things to get on with). Pour off vinegar and save for next rusty things. Clean up with wire brush. Finish as usual.