Thomas F
Thomas F
  • Portland, OR
Asked on Mar 29, 2012

How do I remove underlayment from around cabinets.

Richard VThomas FKMS Woodworks
+3

I'm replacing my kitchen flooring and need to remove the underlayment. The cabinets were installed on top of the flooring. Does anyone have a good suggestion for the best way to cut the underlayment away from the cabinets. Jamb saw? Sawzall? Angle grinder with blade?
  • Designs by BSB

An "all in one" tool or multi-max tool would do the trick. You need a compact tool/bit that has a 90 degree blade on it to cut downward

• Try using a Dremel tool with a cutting bit...that should do the trick without removing the cabinets

• Allan

A vibratory tool like the Fein (if you have lots of cash) or the Rockwell (if you don't) will make quick work of the job.

• KMS Woodworks

I got to use a Fein the other day...its prety trick and would do the job. but it is a pricey tool. One commom problem with flooring replacements in kitchens is "boxing in" dishwashers and such. I allway pefer to install flooring under cabinets when ever possible...even to the point of removing and reinstalling. Probaly not what you wanted to hear...but sometimes its worth the extra effort.

• Thomas F

Thanks everybody. My birthday is coming up and my wife was asking me I wanted....hmmmmm!

• Richard V

You can get the (almost) same tool as the Fein from Harbor Freight for 39.00. I use mine at least 3 times a week and have had if for 3 years. Its called a Multi Function Tool. And believe me it is. I don't know what I'd do without one.