Asked on Mar 29, 2012

How do I remove underlayment from around cabinets.

Richard VThomas FKMS Woodworks


I'm replacing my kitchen flooring and need to remove the underlayment. The cabinets were installed on top of the flooring. Does anyone have a good suggestion for the best way to cut the underlayment away from the cabinets. Jamb saw? Sawzall? Angle grinder with blade?
6 answers
  • Designs by BSB
    on Mar 29, 2012

    An "all in one" tool or multi-max tool would do the trick. You need a compact tool/bit that has a 90 degree blade on it to cut downward

  • Try using a Dremel tool with a cutting bit...that should do the trick without removing the cabinets

  • Allan
    on Mar 30, 2012

    A vibratory tool like the Fein (if you have lots of cash) or the Rockwell (if you don't) will make quick work of the job.

  • KMS Woodworks
    on Mar 30, 2012

    I got to use a Fein the other day...its prety trick and would do the job. but it is a pricey tool. One commom problem with flooring replacements in kitchens is "boxing in" dishwashers and such. I allway pefer to install flooring under cabinets when ever possible...even to the point of removing and reinstalling. Probaly not what you wanted to hear...but sometimes its worth the extra effort.

  • Thomas F
    on Mar 30, 2012

    Thanks everybody. My birthday is coming up and my wife was asking me I wanted....hmmmmm!

  • Richard V
    on Mar 30, 2012

    You can get the (almost) same tool as the Fein from Harbor Freight for 39.00. I use mine at least 3 times a week and have had if for 3 years. Its called a Multi Function Tool. And believe me it is. I don't know what I'd do without one.

Your comment...