Ribbon Flower Embellished Napkin Pillow

Napkin pillows are very popular and easy to make. There are quite a few tutorials out in blogland showing how to put two napkins together for a pillow. I'm taking it one step further to show you how to embellish a napkin pillow by making a dainty narrow ribbon flower. And the best part is you can get the narrow ribbon 50 cents for 10 yards! So, if you can glue two ribbon ends together and sew straight seams or use iron-on tape for a no-sew pillow, you can make this adorable decorative pillow! For a complete tutorial visit: http://www.plumperfectandme.com/2016/03/ribbon-flower-embellished-napkin-pillow.html
Let's make the ribbon flower first by cutting out a 1 inch circle of felt. Then cut fifteen strips of ribbon 12" long for the first petal layer. Bring the ribbon strip ends together to form loops (petals) and secure with glue. Add a dab of fabric glue to the ribbon strip edge and glue on the first layer of petals around the edge of the circle starting with the "clock positions" of 12, 3, 6, and 9.
Fill in between those first petals:
And then glue on more petals between the first layer for a fuller look.
Continue adding layers of petals as you are decreasing the length of each ribbon strip. The number of petals and lengths of ribbon strips are decreasing about an inch for each layer as you are adding more petals and different colors (if you want) to the center.
I didn't count the number of petals I glued on for each layer, but instead cut and glued on each strip separately as I worked my way toward the enter.
Once satisfied with the look and fullness . . .
it's time to make the pillow. If using a sewing machine, take two napkins matching up the edges, right sides together and begin stitching together, first going back and forth to seal the seams and continuing around three sides. Since the edges are already finished I did not have a seam allowance.
As you begin stitching the fourth side, leave a gap about six inches long to insert the poly-fill. Seal the last stitches back and forth so the seams won't come open.
Turn the napkins right side out and stuff with fiberfill to form the pillow. Hand stitch the opening close. Apply fabric glue to the back of the felt circle and press the flower to the enter of the pillow. Have fun decorating with your ribbon embellished napkin pillows!

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Janet W

I would use velcro to attach ribbon. How would you clean it if the ribbon was glued?

• Jane Snyder-Harrier

Gail, this is beautiful!! Do you happen to remember how many spools of ribbon you used? A rough estimate maybe?? Thank you for sharing.
    • Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Thanks, Jane! I should have listed exactly how many spools I used. But since there are just three colors, I think I used just 3 spools of ribbon. That's a lot of ribbon for 10yds per spool, and at fifty cents a spool, that's a real bargain. Although since the first row has longer and more loops for fullness, there's a possibility that I used more than a spool for that color. Sorry, just can't recall the exact amount.

• Pat Backen LaBelle

Where do you get the bow maker?