Brenda D
Brenda D
  • Cedar Falls, IA
Asked on Mar 30, 2012

Need some advice

KMS WoodworksBrenda D3po3
+3

I am remodeling my bathroom. I would like to use sunflowers in the decor--light yellow (?) walls, dark yellow shower curtain, and I hope to paint the cabinet, medicine cabinet, door, and the bar part of the towel rack dark green. I would like to paint the base of the towel rack a dark yellow, to make it look like sunflowers.
I would also like to build some sort of cabinet above the toilet similar to the recessed one that is there, and make it look like the whole area above the sink and toilet is a medicine cabinet, without removing the stud between the 2 cabinets.
Another question: I have hardwood oak flooring (the real deal!) in the hallway leading to the bathroom. I think the casing and the outside of the bathroom door will be painted--a close match to the flooring. (All of the wood on my old windows and doors are in poor shape, which is why I hope to paint all of them, until I can afford to put new windows in the other rooms.) Would it look out of place to have the interior of the bathroom door/cabinets painted dark green, or would that detract from the rest of the house?
If someone can tell me how to upload some photos, it will help you see where I'm coming from.
Thank you.
  • Brenda D

Actually, I'm originally from CF, IA but I live in Canada now--the form wouldn't allow me to put in my Canadian postal code. =o(

• 3po3

Yeah, photos would help. When you are entering a reply in the little text box, there is a blue link right below that says "add photos or videos." You should be able to upload photos from your computer through that link.

• Brenda D

Thanks for the instructions, re: posting photos.

q need some advice, bathroom ideas, doors, home decor, The base of the towel rack that I d like to paint dark yellow The rest of the towel rack would be dark green Also what type of paint would be the best on the metal rack Does it need to be sanded primed firstq need some advice, bathroom ideas, doors, home decor, The present built in medicine cabinet above the marble sinkq need some advice, bathroom ideas, doors, home decor, I d like to paint the cabinet dark green and install a different toilet paper holderq need some advice, bathroom ideas, doors, home decor, I would like to build in another medicine cabinet above the toilet and make it look like one complete medicine cabinet Would that look strange There would basically be a stud between the two which I would likely cover with wood and then paintq need some advice, bathroom ideas, doors, home decor
  • 3po3

The colors all sound cool to me. We have a light yellow bathroom. I think the extended medicine cabinet might look a little odd, but I think most of those things are an issue for about a week, until you get used to them. And if it is better, bigger storage for you, then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks it looks like. For resale, I doubt the size of the medicine cabinet is going to make or break a sale and, again, I think somebody will appreciate the extra storage.

• Brenda D

Thank you for all of your help!! As my granddaughter would say, "Two thumbs up!"

• KMS Woodworks

One thing to keep in mind is that the stud bay behind the toilet may contain a pipe chase...ie: a vent stack before you go out and buy a recessed model check to set that the bay is open from stud to stud.