Linda B
Linda B
  • Trumbull, CT

How to Clean Suede

I brought out my summer sandals and found that the suede insoles were very soiled looking. See below.
I remembered my mother saying that you could clean suede with sandpaper. I thought, 'Wow, that's weird' but it stuck in my head. So I tried it!
Guess what? It WORKS!!
Has anyone ever tried this?
I think it will work on any brushed leather (suede)... but be careful when trying this... try an
Yucky!
Yucky!
Sandpapering the insole. The top layer of the suede comes off but that's okay. It's hard to believe.
Not perfect.  Not new. But not embarrassing anymore.
Not perfect. Not new. But not embarrassing anymore.
Pretty darn clean.
Pretty darn clean.
Linda B

• Willecia

What about the sweat smell

• Brayjo12

Mist rubbing alcohol every night on your shoes and by killing the germs it kills the smells. I was able to wear leather sandals again that I hadn’t been able to wear for years.

• Pam

What git sandpaper did you use?

• Tracy

I was wondering that as well. From the pic, I would guess 220. But hopefully that will get confirmed!

• Gmf21616446

That's amazing! But if you are working on a nice suede coat with dirt stains around the cuff and collar using sandpaper can raise too much grain. I rub baking soda on the soiled areas, let it sit for a few hours (absorbing any oils) and then gently rub with a clean cloth. For light, non-greasy stains, there are 'stain erasers' for cowboy hats - a small block (~1.5" x 2" x 1.5") of dense, sponge like material which you use like an eraser on felt hats but I've found it works on light stains on suede too.
  • Brayjo12

I’ve read that Magic Erasers work well too and will be trying it on my UGGs that I walked into water that had oil in it. Wish me luck!