Linda P
Linda P
  • Marietta, GA

Paint my paneling?

Susan NAnita Buford BurnsLeeAnn Gerleman
+5

I have dark wood judges paneling in my 1986 home's family room. Should I paint it a light color?
  • Peggy Hill

I painted over my dark paneling, with a light yellow and it brighten up the room a lot. but I first rolled on a spackle to fill in the groves. it looks great.

• Sia@South 47th

We painted our Knotty Pine Paneling Dove White. Looks great.

• Cyndi Moore Tippett

YES, to painting a light color. You will love it!

• Jackie Prim

Paint it a light color.

• House Boy, Inc.

yes definitely. you will want to lightly sand it first, then apply an oil based primer.

• LeeAnn Gerleman

I have friends that bought an old mobile home and painted the whole thing inside. It looked beautiful. and the lines in the panelling, after being covered with paint gave it a beachy coastal look. like in a cabin.

• Anita Buford Burns

We painted the paneling in our first home. Used a no sand liquid to prepare the wood. Applied a water based primer. Then painted. Turned out great and really lasted. In our current home, previous owners had painted the paneling and we wanted to get rid of the grooves so we used drywall compound to fill in the grooves, applied drywall compound to entire wall with a roller, and painted. No grooves showed through and we are very pleased with the results.

• Susan N

My parents had their paneling painted many years ago and it still looks perfect. Painter started by cleaning with TSP to remove any dirt, oils, old cigarette smoke, etc. Then primed with oil-based primer. Then painted with antique white-ish color (can't recall if oil or water based.) Looks wonderful, no chips, peeling, bubbles - as nice as the day it was finished. Go for the paint!!