TaniaC
TaniaC
  • Fairfield, IL

Kitchen Island Made From an Old Door....

I have always wanted to attempt to make a kitchen island and I finally found the perfect one to make. From an inspirational picture found on PINTEREST to a kitchen island I'll love forever, because it was made by my own two hands.
To see The step by step instructions I used to make this ...Please visit My BLOG PAGE..
UPDATE!!!!!!!!
I noticed that a few people have commented on maybe adding a piece of Glass to the top of this....... Sorry I forgot to say in the post that some Glass was purchased and it is laying flat on top of the Door.... It's not shown in the picture cause it was purchased after I had taken all the pics... Sorry for the confusion... But thank you all for your input :)..... It definitely is a must for sure..... a lot easier to clean and no food getting into all the Crevices ......
UPDATE NUMBER 2..........................
So I finally got a picture of the Island set up in the kitchen and it has the Glass top on it so you can all see what it looks like..... It also shows the 24" barstools that were purchased....:)
I have posted the picture below in the album... Cheers! :)
Kitchen Island with 1/4 Glass on top for easy cleaning...and 24" Bar stools purchased at Walmart...
Kitchen Island I Made from an Inspirational Picture on Pinterest...
A sheet of 1/4" glass was added to the top of this..:)
Kitchen Island I Made from an Inspirational Picture on Pinterest... A sheet of 1/4" glass was added to the top of this..:)
My Kitchen Island Finished :)
1/4" Glass was added to the top of this for easy cleaning.... and a flat smooth surface to work on :)
My Kitchen Island Finished :) 1/4" Glass was added to the top of this for easy cleaning.... and a flat smooth surface to work on :)
24"w x 70" L door I used for the top
24"w x 70" L door I used for the top
Frame i built out of 2x4's
Frame i built out of 2x4's
Island before I painted and Stained it
Island before I painted and Stained it
24" Bar Stools that will be used for my Kitchen Island....It's a $25 Walmart special...
kitchen island made from an old door, diy, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
TaniaC

• Ronda Wright

was wondering if you have a problem with the glass scratching??

• TaniaC

The glass top work real well... don't have any problems at all

• Tammy Pumphrey Smith

I wonder if a clear epoxy top would work?

• TaniaC

You could probably fill the sections with epoxy but it would be an expensive way to do this... that is why the glass is a better option I think ..hope this helps

• Teresa

I absolutely love the way you finished the door. I have 2 doors exactly like this and am wanting that exact look. What kind of spray paint did you use?...how many coats did you use?...ooooh, so many more questions...hahaha! BTW...Thumbs Up!

• TaniaC

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I used a Krylon Ivory Saturn finish from Walmart... I gave it at least 2 to 3 coats to give it a good coverage... once dried you then scrap off the area that had the Vaseline. ... you can see the rest of the instruction at my blog page .... thanks a bunch for the lovely comment... cheers!! 😆

• Teresa

I was wondering what paint you used, and how many coats?

• Brett Kendrick

all it takes is imagination , the will , the elbow grease to make it , & viola , well done

• TaniaC

Thank you Brett..... oh and Cheers to a fellow Aussie! 😆

• Carole White

WOW, this is awesome; great work and great inspiration...and the circle continues :) Thanks for sharing,

• TaniaC

Thank you Carole..... and thanks to all those who inspire..... it makes this world so much better 😆😆💙💜💛❤