Karol D
Karol D
  • Decatur, IL
Asked on Apr 1, 2012

How do you clean a shower head?

Ruth HargadenKarol DClay B
+5

lots of black gunk on it.
  • 3po3

I haven't actually tried this, but the best tip I have seen is to pour a 50-50 vinegar-water solution in a bag and submerge the showerhead, then secure with a rubber band or twist tie and let the vinegar work its magic for about 30 minutes. Then everything should just wipe off.

• As Steve posted...works well,

• LandlightS

Much better Advice than any commercial product and by far much cheaper

• Sherrie S

I agree with Steve but when I did it I used straight vinegar (no water). Is there some reason to mix it with water? Can't be the cost.

• 3po3

That's just what I read. Regular white vinegar for the kitchen is pretty dilute already, so I'm guessing it doesn't make much difference either way.

• Clay B

Soak in 50/50 CLR (comes in grey bottle at hardware store), CLR, Calcium, Lime, Rust., but if the less expensive way STEVE G suggusted works, do that. I'm going to try it next time instead of CLR.

• Karol D

Thanks, I will try this.

• Ruth Hargaden

I used 50/50 vinegar and baking soda, tie the bag around shower head and leave overnight. This removes all the soap scum and lime buildup. Shower head was like new the next day.