Debbie Hames
Debbie Hames
  • Asheboro, NC

Deer are eating my garden. Help

Debbie / Dragonfly TreasurePatti NicholasSherlyn F
+5

Two nights ago deer ate my tender green bean plants. I don't want a fence so what else will help?

You can try scent-based repellents, but they generally only work until the deer get acclimated to the scent, so you have to keep changing "fragrances." Really, a fence-and a substantial one-is the only sure way to keep deer out of a garden.

• Debbie Hames

Thanks. Have been told to try human hair also.

• Patti Nicholas

Well it sounds a little odd, but in when we lived out in the country where there was no chance of being spotted, my husband would go on a late night stroll around the garden perimeter and "mark" his territory so to speak. It worked for all but the most determined critters, (deer and rabbits alike). Then we hooked up a radio to a timer and a motion controlled light, all 3 together worked the best. The scent, the noise and the sudden light shining on them kept them completely out of our garden and moved them on to the neighbors who tried everything but organic/natural deterants.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Check this out, try baby formula..I kid you not. I heard Walter Reeves mention it on his show. http://www.walterreeves.com/insects-and-animals/deer-repel-with-baby-formula/

• SweetPea Paula

I have successfully used Liquid Fence for many years.

• Sherlyn F

Moth Balls placed around the garden area works great for deer and squirrels.....

• Patti Nicholas

do be careful w/ mothballs as they are poisonous to cats and dogs.

• Debbie / Dragonfly Treasure

Use a vegetable peeler on the bar of Irish Spring soap and scatter shavings around plants and bushes. There's a product called Bobbex that works really well if you have something you want to protect though!

I read this from Gma Kirk: A farmer gave me a gross recipe for repellent...but it works. cup or two of urine, tablespoons of crushed garlic, and cayenne pepper, two eggs in a gallon jug, shake well, fill rest of the way with water. Cap and let age a week. Then you drizzle small stream around the perimeter of whatever you want to keep them from eating - works on rabbits too!