Cinda
Cinda
  • Noblesville, IN

How do I seal clay pots?

Linda HuntPatJane
+11

I am attempting another year of gardening in pots. I would like to seal the pots without the risk of contaminating the herbs and vegetables. Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks bunches for your help :)
  • Tina

If you want to seal the inside i would use thick plastic bags for the outside i coat mine with spray acrylic sealer/finisher...i use one made by Americana...hope that helps.

• Jane

Where to find the "sealer"? I had a spray can but used it all. Could not find this at Lowe's. Thanks for a clue--I do not like to waste gas looking all over town!

• Bridget

I used Thompsons Water sealer that I had leftover from sealing my deck.

• KMS Woodworks

Why do you think you need to seal these?...I have seen people run into more issues with root rot and over watering with "glazed" or sealed pots. The basic terra cotta pot will be cooler for plant roots due to evaporative cooling, they also allow you to monitor soil moisture levels more effectively. All paints sold in the US are food safe when cured...so painting the outside of them would be fine if you want to go that route.

• Jane

I have found that the clay pots need to be sealed. I have some pots that did not have the proper seal and all the paint inside and out peeled off. Today I found a small spray can of "clay pot" sealer. The sealer is not the same formula as Polyurethane. The final seal to keep the paint on the outside needs the poly. Rot root, I think that is due to over watering. However I am still searching for the sealer as I bought the last spray can of the proper sealer at Hobby Lobby today.

• KMS Woodworks

Jane, I can see where you might need to seal them if you are going to paint...but for a simple gardening project leaving them in their natural state will allow them the "breath" and be far less work and expense.

• Michelle Eliker

Cindi, the only clay pots you need to seal on the inside are unfired clay pots ( usually from Mexico) that will break down over time - and I wouldn't recommend those for growing food anyway.

• Cinda

Hey ladies, thanks so much for your suggestions. I appreciate all of your wealth of information.

• Caley's Culinaries

From a gardening point of view, some plants like lavender and rosemary will die if you seal their clay pots. They need to have porous material for drainage. Anything soft and green won't mind glazed or plastic or other waterproof material.

• Tina

@ Jane Menges if you have access to a Michaels Craft Store or a Hobby Lobby you can find the sealer there...:)

• Jane

Hmmmm! Thanks for the comments. I plan to do research on the clay pot painting and sealing. This is the first time I am gardening in "plastic long narrow containers". We want some fresh vegies to eat. I have always managed to have a garden where ever I have lived. There must be an authority, with experience, that can add to this subject. Let us hear from you please.

• Pat

Your state Cooperative Extension Service or Extension Agent should be able to advise.

• Linda Hunt

I am also curious because I want to use them for non-food items and for very low level of water required succulents so it will not create a water stain on wood. Thanks to anyone who knows t