Amy Brammer
Amy Brammer
  • Burbank, CA

Springtime Horse Head Wreaths

Last winter, I started making horse head Christmas wreaths. I thought they should not be just for winter, so I whipped up this springtime wreath. This one has an orange patent leather halter. Mane and forelock sprigs are light turquoise. Just added detailed instructions on how I make these wreaths.
First thing I did was go online and find a horse profile outline. I used a copier to blow it up to a size that would work and mounted it on heavy cardboard.
The frame is made of chicken wire. Cut a piece big enough to cover outline with a few inches to spare all around. Cut with wire cutters. Be sure to wear gloves. (I found that out the hard way.)
Start bending the chicken wire to form the horse. I cut off excess as I go.
Now I reinforce the outline with some heavy electrical cable. It is bendable but still heavy enough to hold its shape. Weave the cable in/out of the chicken wire and go all around the edge. (The pic of this step didn't come out, but you can see how I did it in later pics.)
Now it's time to start filling in the shape with artificial garland. This is the one I use.
Start around the edges using picture hanging wire to secure it to the chicken wire. I make 3" pieces folded in half. Tie off on the back.
Work your way around the edges, then fill in the middle.
Next step is to create the horse halter. Since I am a leather crafter, I make my halters out of tooling leather and O-rings. Halters can also be made out of fabric. Here is how I attach it to the head. This is the back view.
Next, I attach a child's beaded necklace as the lead rope. I get these from any Dollar store. I sew through the o-ring and attach the first bead. Just tie it off.
Next is to attach the sprigs to create the mane and forelock. I order these online since I can't find them locally. I spray paint them to make them stand out from the green body.
Attach the sprigs with wire and trim to any length you want. Now you can add the flowers. I get mine from any dollar store and attach them with hot glue.
Finished product. This client wanted only purple and white. These are not easy to make, but they are such fun that they are worth the effort.

• She16902363

do you make these & sell them? Shelia (Raleigh, NC)

• Katen

Although I'm no near as crafty as you I have needed leather accents on some of my old projects and found old purse straps or belts work great. One time I found a beautiful belt on clearance for a quarter that fit the bill better than I ever imagined. Hope this helps those who don't tool leather. You have inspired me. Thanks for sharing

• Debbie

How big is your copy and how much Garland did you use

• Debbie

Thank you. Also where did you find your horse profile.

• Loretta

This is beautiful! I made a copy of horsehead by drawing it out, but haven't gotten any further with it. Now seeing this project I am inspired to get started on one. I need to get some chicken wire soon and start creating. Love your work!

• Amy Brammer

Thank you so much. It is a lot of work to make these but you can really go crazy with the flower colors and make it gorgeous. I've had this one hanging on my front door for years and it still looks awesome.