Cheryl Clark
Cheryl Clark
  • Bryans Road, MD
Asked on Apr 2, 2012

Does anyone know how to remove existing paint splatters from brick? I have tried everything I know of with no success.

Kathy LuckeyDena HChris H
+18

• KMS Woodworks

about the most efficient way is sand blasting...limited results with a wire brush. How much area do you need to clean up?

• Cheryl Clark

Thank you haven't tried sand blasting, the spots are just here and there, tried the wire brush, didn't do a thing.

• Lynda B

"Goof Off" removes paint, but always is best to remove when fresh. If the paint splatters have been there a while you will have to use the goof off and lots of elbow grease.

• Pamela G

there is always paint stripper.... dab it on with a q-tip and let it loosen it up. Try it on a place that isn't noticable first.

• ProSource

I would ask at a name brand paint store. Sandblasting is an extreme effect and not advisable for exterior brick at all. On small projects where a bit of paint got on unfinished or unsealed brick, rather than take a risk of dissolving it into the surrounding areas I put a wet sponge or towel over the spot and let time help release latex paints like this. If needed you can cover the area with a bit of plastic wrap to hold in the moisture and let it work through the brick and get behind the spot and release it. Paul C

• Carroll A

Have you tried krud kutter?

• Marci N

Scrape it off? Or you could try to find paint that matches the brick and paint it over the splatters after scraping them flat. It would probably be less time consuming than trying to get it all off.

• Suzi B

wow a lot of great ideas we have the same problem and we are going to try a few of these ideas.... thanks

• Carol M

If you can't remove it, how about getting paint color matched to your brick and dab it with the paint to cover it up?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Scrape off the top part you can then get the strongest paste stripper with a wire brush. For better or worse, brick holds paint well. You can also follow up with more stripper and pressure washer. Best, Charles

• Sheryll S

That is what I came here from FB to tell her. I would not want to even try, since brick is so very porous. Yep, try matching the paint, but thin the paint a bit to try it, so it remains porous? Does that make sense?

• Tim B

muratic acid. just make sure you wash well with water after

• Clay B

Wear GOGGLES and CHEMICAL RESISTANT GLOVES, on drop of acid in your eye, and it's goodbye eye. Have you tried "Goof Off", comes liquid an spray, it stinks, but will removed dried LATEX paint. Did you tray paint stripper?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Acid won't touch paint, however it will react with the masonry. Depending on the splatters, you could try the cleaning route and then touch up the residual with paint. CP

• Cheryl Clark

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I am going to the hardware store tomorrow to put all your suggestions to the test. I like the painting over it the best....seems like the easiest. I have tried goof off, didn't work.

• Clay B

Yes, match the color of the brick, then carfully cover it up. sounds good. If goof off didn't work, may be oil based paint.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Cheryl, ask the paint store for a 'fan deck' of colors to match your brick by, or better, bring a brick for them to match. CP

• Adam D

Muratic acid would clean it off. Not sure if that is how it is spelled but the hardware store will know what I am talking about. or you could try denatured alchahol.

• Chris H

i am a roofing repairman and have had to remove spray paint from brick many times ... i use any kind of acetone based product such as paint thinner and a wire brush and alot of elbow grease ... if you dont have paint thinner ive used fingernail polish remover ... it works in a pinch.

• Dena H

Don't know if you found a solution yet but if you haven't, try nail polish remover. That stuff works miracles and it's a lot cheaper than all that other stuff.

• Kathy Luckey

Thank y'all so much for your inputs, I will try these last one with the fingernail polish remover.