Christina H
Christina H
  • Manteno, IL
Asked on Apr 2, 2012

Can i landscape all around my patio? Does there need to be a way of getting off the patio to get into the yard?

Phil TErica GlasenerChristina H
+4

• Walter Reeves

I was mowing a lawn yesterday and thanking the designer for making an unobtrusive way to get the mower across the lined sidewalk without cutting it off. Yes, design a way to get from patio to yard. Perhaps a single stepping stone would be enough.

I agree that there should be a way to get from patio to yard. After all, don't you want to encourage people to explore your yard, not view it from behind a velvet rope, as you would a room in museum?

• Erica Glasener

Christina, a few steps down or a dry stack wall can make a big impact. I like the look of this patio (you could create your own version)

• Erica Glasener

Here steps transition from one area to another

q can i landscape all around my patio does there need to be a way of getting off the, landscape, outdoor living, patio, steps provide transition from one area to another
  • Christina H

as beautiful as that is..my backyard is years from looking like that

• Erica Glasener

Christina, I know what you mean but honestly even a small amount of hardscape can get you off to a good start. My garden is only 6 years young but I started with a short granite wall to define it. It's true it is an expense but one I plan to make only once and it should last for years. Enjoy working on and in your garden.

• Phil T

Only you can answer that question. Do YOU want a way to get to the yard? I think it would make sense.