Dan330
Dan330
  • Saint Paul, MN

DIY Potato Tower

Here's an easy and weed free way to grow potatoes. We did this last summer and it was so easy and productive that we are planning to do even more this year!
This is our seed pototoes
This is our seed pototoes
First you have to know what you are going to grow. We have visited Seeds Savers in Decorah, Iowa before and picked these seed potatoes for our garden. It's important to have a good seed potato to start this project.
diy potato tower, gardening, homesteading, how to
We have had really good luck with Seed Savers. This is a non-profit so we don't mind giving them a plug.
Pounding posts into the ground.
Pounding posts into the ground.
This is a tower you are building so you need some solid structure. We used fence posts from a big box store.
Adding wire fence to hold straw.
Adding wire fence to hold straw.
We fastened wire fencing around the fence posts to hold the straw and potato plants.
Create a nest of straw in the bottom of the tower you built. Add about 2 inches of dirt for planting. Repeat these layers to the top of the tower.
cutting the seed potatoes
cutting the seed potatoes
Cutting the seed potatoes and planting in the tower as we build it up.
After about one month of growth.
Ta Dah!!! We were very happy with our tower experiment. For more on how we did this visit our website and watch the video below.

Dan330

• Eve

Hi. Very nice.

What kind of soil? Outside garden soil? Must be fill sun or shade? Water every day or? When is the best time to set up? When is the best time to take potatoes out? In the fall or?

Sorry I asked because I can't hear what you said. Can you add closed caption or subtitles?

Thanks

• Susan

Did you see the icon for volume in the lower right hand corner? If you tap that, you'll get sound. I've noticed lately that the volume on most videos does not automatically come on. I thought something was wrong with the video or my device. Then I noticed an X or / through the icon for volume.

• Maureen

Did the potatoes stay in the straw and not the ground when you went to get them?

• Susan

The potatoes will grow in the layer they were planted in. There is an alternative to this that is not as pretty. Used tires. Plant seeds in first tire, stack another tire and repeat to as tall as you want. The potatoes will grow. This method used soil but I think I like the hay version. Saves on siol and isn't as packed looking.

My uncle used to make tripods for his squash, cucumbers and pole beans. It takes up less space as the plants grow upwards and the veggies don't sit on the ground in the water and mud. No flat side either.

• Gina

With all the straw you use in this method of growing potatoes do they have a different taste to them because I have worked with straw before and as it rots it smells moldy and I think the potatoes would have to taste and smell different than if they were grown in soil alone where you can fertilize them.

• Andrea Joey Adams

I would not recommend this. My father did years ago, the straw grows around & through the potatoes.

• Dfm

Love going to seed savers out fit, get to visit with my cousins.