Robert
Robert
  • Powder Springs, GA
Asked on Apr 2, 2012

Need help with tile floor

Stone-Crete ArtistryDerrick GrayKMS Woodworks
+4

I need to level my bath floor before installing anything else. Should I use self leveling concrete then concrete board on top? Any thoughts on a different direction? Thanks
  • KMS Woodworks

Robert...I normally lay the backer first, which is set with thinset or mastic and nailed / screwed in place then I will "float" some level quick over this. This is a better method for a couple of reasons..the backer is "set" to the ply subfloor with screws...this is a screw to wood connection which is very bomb proof. If you level first then screwing the backer down is not much of an option as screwing into or through the level mix causes problems. The level quick is being applied to a "cement" type layer rather than a wood layer, which is better there too. http://www.hometalk.com/Kevin/project/2181

• Derrick Gray

How bad is the slope and is the slope towards the wall(s) or door opening?

• Robert

The floor slopes to the side wall about a half inch

• Robert, I concur with Kevin (KMS). O&S asked a good question as to how bad the slope is. A half inch isn't bad...but it is always a good idea to determine if the slope is a symptom of something failing (structural issue, water/termite damage, etc...) which means it has the potential of getting worse and making all your new work a waste of time......or it was simply built that way and isn't going to get any worse. Tim

• KMS Woodworks

The bath project I linked to above had about 1/2" of slope as well. This was easily addressed with the "bedding" of the radiant heating element.

• Derrick Gray

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Can you send a photo of the area. You can use thiset to float that area before you tile but I need to see the area in question to see it this option is viable. Thanks

• Stone-Crete Artistry

add a little body to your thinset and you can set tile perfectly flat and level over anything...notta good pic but you get my drift

need help with tile floor, concrete masonry, flooring, home maintenance repairs, tile flooring