Julie
Julie
  • Searcy, AR

Is This a Daylily or Something Else?

IngeBwbakkeAndrea C
+23

Hi, this is a (bulb) flower that grows out back. The stalks are very tall (3-4 feet?) and the blooms are about 5-6 inches across. They're beautiful! Please help me identify them. Thank you!
is this a daylily or something else, flowers, gardening
  • Barb Rosen

Julie ~ this is a variety of Asiatic Lily. They grow from bulbs and return every year!

• Karmen Klug

these are asiatic lilies

Definitely an Asiatic lily.

• Julie

Thanks! :) My mother-in-law planted them years ago (she's gone now), we bought the house, and they've shown up the last couple of springs. I'm cross stitching the pic on the left, so I thought I better find out what it is!

• Julie

Will it need to be divided at some point? Do lilies ever need that?

• Julie

Are these (orange & yellows below) the same thing? They're in a different bed. Resemble the pink ones.

is this a daylily or something else, flowers, gardening, Are these Asiatic lilies too
  • Barb Rosen

Yes, they come in different colors. In a few years the lilies will form a clump and you can dig up and separate them - they multiply!

• Julie

Thank you Barb!

• P

They are Asiatic lilies

• Terresa K

It's a Lily

• Alexandra Arena

What a gorgeous flower!

• Jossi

Asiatic Lily. They come in many beautiful colors.

• Marj

Very nice lilies :) If you like fragrant ones, plant some stargazer lily bulbs :) they're pretty and smell great!

• Lori J

And for the record, what we usually call day lilies are not true lilies--but I love them anyway. As for Asiatics, any suggestions on when is the best time of year to divide?

• Julie

Yes Lori, I have the same question! I've never divided before, but will have to soon with the flower beds here... the lilies, tulips, and the iris'.... Little overwhelming! Are different flowers divided at different times? Thanks Marj --those are LOVELY! I'd pick those if planting them myself (the Asiatics were already here). Always looking for fragrant flowers! Thanks to everybody else!! This is such a great place to ask questions & actually get an educated answer :)

• Lumen Castaneda

I divide my Asiatic lilies in the fall so by winter they will be dormant and come up aggressively in spring. Come to think of it, it will be time to divide mine this fall. The clumps are big now.

• Lori J

Good to know. I have three clumps to divide.

• Marj

Yes, I also divide in the fall once the flowers have been through their cycle. It's easier to remember what colors are where and to decide where you want to put the divides :) Just remember, any tiny bulb you find around the clump will also be a flower some day so don't throw them away! I know Iris' are rhizomes and tend to stay close to the surface. You'll have to look up a tutorial on youtube for those, they usually suggest cleaning them with bleach water when dividing those. Happy gardening!

• Debby Boyle

It is a lily not a Day lily.

• Julie

Thanks on the info about dividing... I'll have to do some of that this fall for sure!

• Kathy Morling

all bulbs and rhizomes need to be divided every 3 to 5 years

• Julie

Thanks Kathy... wow, I'm WAY behind on the tulips and iris' then!

• Penster47

I have the same ones in my yard and they are over 5 ft tall this year. the blooms are bigger than my hand.

• Andrea C

My lilies are very tiny after a few years. What do you do to grow them so large? Did you originally plant blubs or get plants from the nursery?

• Bwbakke

This is an Asiatic Lily they multiply by new blublets when they get crowded you dig in the fall and transplant..nothing bothers them except Deer.

• Inge

Asiatic Lily