Easy DIY Toy Shelves Using a Tire

408K Views
On our blog, Spaceships and Laser Beams , I came up with an idea that doesn't blow the budget and it is eco-friendly. Besides, according to the guys at our house, it's really cool.
  • diy toy shelves from a used tire, how to, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas
We use our tire shelf for toy storage in our outdoor play area. I think it would be awesome outside on the patio with summer necessities, too. All you need is a leftover tire, a little wood, screws, primer and paint. And no, it's not difficult to make.
Give your old tire a good scrubbing first and let it dry.
For the middle board, measure the diameter of the inside circle and add 2" to each side. For the top and bottom boards, use the inside center circle diameter. Using a miter saw for cutting the shelves is a lot quicker, but you could use a handsaw.
Take your center board and wedge it into the tire. Repeat with the top and bottom boards.
Use a metal drill bit and predrill through the side of the tire and into the boards, using a bit slightly smaller than the screw size. This will keep the wood from splitting.
If you want the shelves and tire the same color, you can assemble now. If you would like the shelves a different color, disassemble and prime everything separately.
Spray tire and shelves with primer (do two coats). Once it is dry, spray paint the tire and shelves (ours needed two coats).
When paint is thoroughly dry, reassemble.
That's it! You're ready to do a little organizing now. Or maybe you'll gift it. Wouldn't this be a super present for that grad who is asking for a set of wheels? :)

Suggested materials for this project:

• 1 auto tire
  • 1 8' 1X6 pine board (not pressure treated and if you have wood scraps that are the right size for
  • 12 #6X1" panhead screws
Layne Henderson Quintanilla

• Hannah V
    Hannah V Brooklyn, NY

This is such a phenomenal idea! So much fun for a kids room. I bet tons of people will be saving this. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Mary Beth
      Mary Beth

This is absolutely awesome! My boys are all too big now (sigh) but I do have little nephews who would love this!