Donna Shipley
Donna Shipley
  • Placerville, CA

Bug I.D.?

Jeffrey BirchardMichelle Rodrigues RodricksBeatrice Tangeman
+8

When I was a kid I used to see these every fall as school was starting the kind of swarmed. Thousands of them died in the gutters when the rains started (and smelled bad). I can't remember their name, nor the folk lore that went with their appearance. Right now there are a fairly large number of them wandering around our property. Anyone know what they are and/or anything else about them?
They are about 2 inches long, black with yellow spots, lots of legs and if you pester them the curl up.
  • Sia@South 47th

Looks like a centipede to me?

• Donna Shipley

I "googled" both centipede & millipede and could find one that looked quit like this, but I may have missed something. Thanks.

• Donna Shipley

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Gail Salminen

From what I could find in google, it appears to be a flat backed millipede. More infor here http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2005/06/09/flat-backed-millipede/

• Donna Shipley

Thank you Gail!!! That is exactly the critter and I can use the i.d. to find out more about it... like where it went and why its back!

• Phyllis W

It resembles the bag worms that hang in nut trees and almost defoliate them. They are earlier in the season - I think. Do your little guys do damage Donna?

• Donna Shipley

These guys stay on the ground as far as I can tell and don't seem to destroy anything. I am sure that it is a flat-backed millipede. I just found it very odd to encounter them again in large numbers after so many years and I remember from my childhood that there was supposed to be some significance to there appearance in large numbers... rainy weather, earthquake weather... something like that. They are pretty much gone now, but it is June 2 and sprinkling so maybe it was rain.

• Phyllis W

It would be good to learn the folk lore of these guys.

• Beatrice Tangeman

Yes, do tell.. We just saw one in our yard last night before dark, it was very lethargic and on the ground.

• Its a kind of a centipede and/or millipede. These two have a different look...! Yeah, i too would like to know more about this particular insect.

• Jeffrey Birchard

It's a millipede the wet weather brings them out