Rachel R
Rachel R
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Asked on Apr 3, 2012

How do I get my dog to stop eating my plants?

Miriam IRachel RDouglas Hunt
+3

I have a few house plants that I always find chewed up when I get home from work. I'd rather not move them because they're on a window-sill in the perfect place to get sun during the day. Does anyone know of a dog-repelling spray or something that won't hurt my plant, my dog, or me?

There are a number of dog-repellent sprays on the market, Rachel. Check to make sure they are safe for plants and give them a shot. I guess you can't just shut the door of the room where the plants are?

• Sherrie S

I'd say the dog needs more attention or something else to play with. I don't think the dog is eating the plants and spraying them may cause the dog to find something else to get your attention. You don't want that to happen.

• electricity works magic on mans best friend! get an invisible fence and enjoy your plants

I think Sherrie makes a very good point. It seems unlikely that plants on a windowsill would naturally be a dog's first item of interest.

• Rachel R

Well he actually has a lot of toys to play with and I usually leave him with large hide bones to keep his teeth busy, he's just very mischievous. It doesn't happen while I'm home, but while I'm at work. Obviously I can't be giving him attention from there. When possible, I have a friend or relative come by during the day to take him out or play with him, but there's only so much i can do. The plants are on a windowsill behind the couch. He jumps up on the couch and chews them.

• Miriam I

What type of plants are they? Could it be that he is eating them because he is lacking a nutrient in his diet? I thought of that and then went online and was surprised to find some info on it: http://www.gardenguides.com/67482-stop-dogs-eating-plants.html