Hoosier Homemade
Hoosier Homemade
  • Laporte, IN

How to Build and Plant a Succulent Garden

Succulent Gardens require very little water and almost no maintenance. And they can be gorgeous!
how to build and plant a succulent garden, diy, flowers, gardening, how to, succulents, Succulent Gardens are easy to create and super easy to care for
Succulent Gardens are easy to create and super easy to care for.
We used PVC pipe and cut it at an angle
We used PVC pipe and cut it at an angle
how to build and plant a succulent garden, diy, flowers, gardening, how to, succulents, Spray painted with stone paint
Spray painted with stone paint
Fill with pea gravel for drainage and soil. Then planted the succulents.
how to build and plant a succulent garden, diy, flowers, gardening, how to, succulents, Some of the plants were also planted in the ground
Some of the plants were also planted in the ground.
how to build and plant a succulent garden, diy, flowers, gardening, how to, succulents, Since there were some questions about Indoor Succulent Gardens I thought I would add a photo of the one we created for indoors They do great indoors
Since there were some questions about Indoor Succulent Gardens, I thought I would add a photo of the one we created for indoors. They do great indoors.
Hoosier Homemade

• Bonnie

The shape of the pic looks oval. Is that from the cut you made on top

• SusieB

Bonnie, I also thought the pipes looked oval but it is the angled cut on the pipe that gives the illusion.

• Jsm5179467

Is there any reason you couldn't plant other annuals in them? Wonderful idea!

• Lorraine Aha

No. Just use a short layer of gravel and fill the rest of the pipe with potting soil.

• Juanita

I tried this but the paint wouldn't stick. What did you do so the paint would stick to the PVC?

• She

sand a bit harder, use Vinegar -straight- to wipe clean. Let air dry in sun, if possible 2-8 hrs. Then try to paint-check paint label for use, or ask paint dept. person. Talked to -home plumbing- they said PVC has coating- use expensive 'BIN' SEALANT, but I think cheap waterproof glue to seal, or cover glue With sand - paint after 24 hr Dry would work. Hope these help.

• Sandra

Wipe down with acetone nail polish remover, then clean with plain water and dry before painting. I painted the trim on my PVC window trim using the polish remover as a sanding medium...

• Karen Force

Just use sandpaper.

• Possumlady

What a great inexpensive idea. I have a tortoise that eats everything in her reach. This could keep her out.

• Juanita

The paint wouldn't stick to the PVC when I tried this. How did you prepare the pipe?

• Bevely Thomas

Might try using some sand paper to rough the surface up. try in on the scrap piece from the angle cutting

• Psellers

Do a little sanding.

• Beverly Tusler

How did you get the paint to stick to PVC?

• Karen Force

Just roughen it up with a light sanding

• Thomas Martinkovic

Just rough it up with sand paper and most decorative stone texture paint with adhere no problem

• Jill Brooks

When this type of paint first came out, I went a little crazy. So I learned how to work with it by MANY trials and errors, lol. Roughing the surface does work, but if you're at home w/o sandpaper, you CAN "prime" the surface with a traditional spray paint (made for plastic etc is ideal, but they all work", let dry thoroughly, THEN your Specialty Paints will adhere. I also used a Spray Adhesive on some projects and for an interesting look, USE the fact it won't stick and make a design of your own on the pvc pipe. Spray ONLY the areas you WANT to stick, wiping away where if goes over off easilywith paper towels or a rag. I used Black PVC with a pretty Copper colored sand paint and had a lovely, unique, one-of-a-kind piece of ART in my Garden. Of course...ALWAYS slay with a clear sealant per the instructions on the can! (Usually after its completely dry! OR within a few minutes of the initial spraying)

• Gavi

That little bamboo mat is precious! Where is it from please?

• Gcr11114485

Did you use only pea gravel in the pipes? This looks really good.

• Peggy Fergueson Miller

I love this and how inexpensive! How do you move it if it has no bottom or is it stationery only? Thanks for posting this great project.

• Yojimbo

I wondered the same thing, and the solution I came up with was to get a pipe cap for each tube and drill a LOT of holes in it, then put a circle of landscape fabric inside the pipe and glue the cap on with pie cement. Now you have a porous bottom on each tube!
    • Peggy Fergueson Miller

Perfect, Thank you. I can't wait to get started.
  • Patricia

Do succulent plants need a lot of direct sunlight. I’m primarily in shade

• Cob14132466

Awesome, Durable. Love to Repurpose also.
  • Angie

Love the idea of using the pipe! Going to use this for an indoor planter as well! ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you for sharing!