Morgan C
Morgan C
  • Columbus, OH
Asked on Apr 3, 2012

Is there any way to make copper patina faster than normal?

Douglas HuntBonnie BMorgan C
+1

I have copper tops on my fence and some are still shiny while others have started to turn. I want them all to be the same if thats possible.
  • Morgan C

is there any way to make copper patina faster than normal? i have copper tops on my fence and some are still shiny while others have started to turn. i want them all to be the same if thats possible.

Morgan, they may have been sealed with something to reduce the patination. I had exactly that issue with post caps I bought. Try scrubbing them with steel wool, then wiping on vinegar or lemon juice.

• Bonnie B

Thanks! for the hint, Douglas. I just installed copper fence post caps and I am going to make note of your "scoop" in my file for future use.

Bonnie, some manufacturers are apparently under the impression that people do not want copper to do what it is supposed to do. I am not in that camp.