Bonnie M
Bonnie M
  • Covington, GA
Asked on Apr 3, 2012

Does anyone know what this plant is?

Peggy BrooksWanda Godwin SellersFuchsiafairy
+37

q does anyone know what this plant is, gardening
  • JP S

Sick Indian Hawthorn.

• Fran W

Does it have little thorns on stems? Looks like a type of quince or a Hellaborous

• Karen C

It looks like a young strawberry plant with the white flowers.

Bonnie, I'm not sure where you are, but I agree that this looks like a very unhappy Indian hawthorn (Rhaphiolepis indica).

• Theresa M

Indian Hawthorne.....in bad shape.

• Karen C

Bonnie, tell us what it is, surely you know, if you posted it.

• Cindy S

That is a Wild Strawberry or an Alpine Strawberry plant. They get small berries that taste like cotton candy. They are as safe to eat as regular strawberries. When we had them in our garden at the old house the kids would eat them right off the plant. Since they didn't have a large amount of berries at any one time I never worried about the results of excess consumption.

• LuAnne P

Definitely Indian Hawthorne

• Lora H

does look like a sick indian hawthorn......or it could be some kind of a little jasmine.......

• Carla P

I first thought strawberry too but it is to woody.

• Marie C

Looks like some sort of Indian Hawthorne. Leaves are wrong for a wild strawberry

• Victoria R

It is indeed a India Hawthorn (Raphiolepis)

• Lisa M

It is an Indian Hawthorne - I have a bunch - trim it back - cut off the dead stuff and if it is in a sunny spot it will come back - flowers in spring and dark blue berries for the birds in winter - does best in sun and likes it a bit dry here in NC

• Sharon A

Not strawberry...leaves aren't right (my first thought was strawberry also, until I looked at the leaves, strawberry are more 'saw-toothed' not smooth), I don't see any thorns...but my grandfather had a plants that looked something like this (sorry I don't know what it was called), it was a 'ground cover type plant that could be trained to go up and over a chain-link fence...sorta like a hedge (needed to be pruned to keep it's shape nice)...problem was that it was susceptible to scale...which would make it look like yours, and will eventually kill it...can be treated.

• Jo A

Indian Hawthoorn, and a pain in the butt to get rid of

• Bonnie M

Looks like a wild strawberry!

• Yvonne B

This is definitely not a wild strawberry, a wild strawberry plant looks like a regular strawberry plant except maybe not as full and the berries do not get as big. It does however look kind of like an Indian Hawthorne that need a lot of TLC.

• Barbara S

I have read all the posts. I was clueless to begin with and I am clueless to end with: What in the "hail" kinda plant is it? You either know or you don't know!

• Carol

Have tons of these and all in bad shape. I'll try to relocate some but the rest will go to the compost pile. Had them in TX - not much of a fan. Barbara S - Indian Hawthorne

• Allison B

It is Indian Hawthorn if you scroll to the middle of this page you will see. http://cooperseeds.com/controlling_entomosporium.php3?cartid=

• Marg C

If you put them in the compost pile you might end up with them everywhere!

• Debra D

Indian Hawthorne for sure. I have several in my flower bed. They grow into medium sized bushes covered in those flowers every spring. The flowers turn into berries that the birds eat. That one needs to be pruned back, the dirt loosened up around the root zone, and to be fed some miracle grow or other well balanced fertilizer. The leaves are too small right now....it needs some love!!

• Erica Glasener

I agree, Indian Hawthorne.

• Patricia N

I also think it is indian hawthorn, my grama used to have them in her yard, and they r very hard to get rid of

• Inez A

Indian Hawthorne

• Sherrie S

I, too believe that is a sick Indian Hawthorne. I love the look of these plants when they are healthy. Mine needs no special feeding but does require some water and very little care.

• James F

It looks like a plant i don't want gowing in my yard!

• Teresa C

Indian Hawthorn for sure. Allison posted a good link for details pertaining to this sick shrub.

• Brandon K

I don't know much about plants, but after reading all the replies on this post, I am SURE that it's Indian Hawthorn! :)

• Bonnie M

Thank you everyone for your replies. I live in central Georgia and am trying to revive many plants at the home I bought last year. I did look up Indian Hawthorne and yes, it is that indeed. Thanks again.

• Alida G

Bonnie, if you can dig up the soil and put in organic material from a woodsy area or even if purchased it will really perk up those plants. Good Luck!

• Sharon A

Looks alot like Pacasandra, but I can't recall seeing flowers on it before.

• Karen C

So what exactly is this thing. Al I keep getting on here is everyone's answer but you never say what it is. Is this just a guessing game an everyone give an answer as to what it is and that;s it. Are youe ver going to say what it is.?

• Wanda sinnema

@Karen C Karen, often people DON'T KNOW, they are asking to help identify it.. So many plants are in houses when we move into them, it can be a real guessing game ,,

• Sherrie S

Karen C, I think the answers have been posted. Some of the smartest plant people have answered as best they could. Almost everyone agrees with Douglas Hunt (who is an expert). Bonnie M who posted the plant agrees.

• Susan

Indian hawthorne

• Faith H.

Looks like an Indian Hawthorn...... Needs a bit of fertilizer and some regular watering though. I have one that looks like this one and some that look really pretty good. I live in Florida.]

• Fuchsiafairy

Indian Hawthorne. Keep watering and fertilizing, then trim it down and you will have a beautiful planr!

• Wanda Godwin Sellers

I have some and they are Indian Hawthornes

• Peggy Brooks

Indian Hawthorn I love this evergreen. Great for landscaping