Lynne
Lynne
  • Detroit, MI

How to get rid of well water stains

Shirley MasonDiana DeileyDfm
+25

my daughter just moved to an area that has well water, i visited her last week, and ask her why was her tub and toilet were so yellow, she told me it might be the water. she has tried comet, and bleach, that doesn't work. my grand kids don't want to get in the shower, they say it's still dirty. really need help
  • Miriam I

@Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating painted her bathtub and it looks marvelous. http://www.hometalk.com/988152/diy-painted-bathtub

• Joan

She might need a water conditioner to take out the chemicals. My fiberglass shower is stained too. If cause is rust, do not use chlorine as that binds with the rust, making the condition worse. Hope you can find a solution soon.

• Cheryl M

Try a product called The Works.It saved my bathroom. I have found it at Walmart and some large grocery stores. The cost is 1.00-1.99. I love the stuff.

• Lynne

thank you all so much for the help, also she is leasing the house so anything major with filtration system she can't do, and i think her tub is fiberglass..but thank you. i will tel her to go to walmart for the works

• Brenda Scott-Montero

CLR or Rust Out works great

• Leah Belverd

Hi Lynne, let me tell you, I have well water and the way it stains my sinks/tubs/showers is annoying! I've been dealing with it for about 8yrs now and I add salt to my water conditioner as soon as it runs out..it still doesn't completely keep it from happening. CLR works quite well (calcium/lime/rust) you can get it at walmart. Mix that with a bit of Bar Keepers Friend..you're set! Just let her know, the more often she can clean her tub, the easier it will be to keep it clean. The longer the water sits, the harder it will be to remove it. Also (and i know this is a pain in the butt) but, I've found it helps to dry the tub after use-that way the water isn't just sitting there allowing the minerals to deposit and yellow. Good luck!

• Michele Spencer

Another product that works well for rust stains is Bar Keepers Friend--it is usually with the cleansers like Comet in the store. You may have to make a paste of it and let it sit for a little bit, but it is great with rust.

• Cheryl M

I have tried CLR it didn't touch the stain at all.I have not tried barkeepers friend I have heard it is a good product.I do know when I squirted The works into my toilet and shower I came back to scrub it and it was already gone.I wiped the shower down and rinsed it. Then picked my chin up off the floor and just smiled. I hope it works for her please let us know.

• Tammy Hill

Bar Keepers is amazing. I have used it for many many years. It works well on so many things, including well water stains. Not long ago, I found it works wonders on glass stove tops too. I tell everyone, "Once you use Bar Keepers you will never buy Comet again!"

• A1tec service

pour 1/2 gal bleach in the well lit it sit for 10 min then run the water for about 15 to 20 min this will help a lot stains and clean your well and all so put a filter in the line before it come in the house i know this works i've had well for 8 years department of health told to do the bleach thing but sure you run your water for time aloud

• Rachel Z

Whink has a powder rust remover. I have very hard water and just dust my toilet bowl with it, let it sit for a couple of minutes and the hard water is gone and the toilet is sparkling white! (open some windows first) Use white vinegar or soft scrub for the shower/bath.

• Mary Howard

Try Lemi-shine.

• Ann Parker

try vinegar

• Cheesecake chick

BarKeepers Friend, you will find it next to the Comet. Awesome rust remover!

• Leta Speegle

Vinegar. Let it set for awhile. To get up under the rim soak toilet paper and stick it on . This part might need 2 applications if badly stained.

• Muriel

For real dark stains I use CLR that I buy. Follow directions and wear gloves. Disposable are great!

• Pat2673420

sounds like you need water tested ~ water filter and when you find out what it is that's making water leave yellow stains then treat it accordingly.

• Lily

A cleaner called the Works really gets the stains out of tub, sink and toilet. (Walmart, family dollar ). Then she should add to the well some sacks of softener, salt, we use sacks of red out also to remove the overload of minerals and sediment in the water.

• Katy Battiste

Had the same problem. NOTHING worked except a pumice bar from Lowes. In the cleaning product area. Small box. Buy two, you will need both.

• Lynne

thank you so much my daughter has never lived in a house with well water..all the answers i am getting will really help her

• Carole Bisby

Hi I have a place up north in Michigan and have the same problem. Sometimes I have used the Mr clean tub eraser it works pretty good also. The works is great for the toilet works immediately be careful it is very strong and if you get it on your hands it will burn. I have a lot of allergies so I am careful what I use in the shower and tub because of the fumes!! They say a water softener added to the hot water tank does help with the iron in the water. Good luck!!!

• Terry Hogeman

iron out. you can buy at most hardware stores. also at lowes or home depot. the stains are from minerals in the water.

• Dfm

krud cutter has a new ish product to remove rust. tub clean in 5 min. wonderful stuff.

• Diana Deiley

Have you tried Barkeepers? I've tried both the soft scrub and the powder form and like it a lot. Best of luck.

• Shirley Mason

If you have a ring in the toilet that doesn't want to come out and someone told me to use a Pumas stone; it works.