Doris Today
Doris Today
  • Tallahassee, FL

Gardening: limiting undergrowth around trees

Douglas Hunt

We live in Tallahassee, FL where there is an abundance of trees that locals call "Poppin Jack" not sure what technical name is but the nick name sure explains what they do. They pop up everywhere and grow very quickly. Most of them we are able to manage by mowing over them but the ones that are a problem are the ones that pop up under the large trees. There are some saplings that have popped up around them that are just too big to mow and I don't want to use any type of weed killer. Any suggestions for our out of control "Poppin Jack"?
1 answer

Doris, I don't know what tree you are referring to, so it is hard to give specific advice, but you can try spraying the tree with horticultural strength vinegar where you can keep the vinegar off other plants. Otherwise I think your only option is to keep cutting them until you win. Or the trees do.