Chris
Chris
  • La Mesa, CA

Garden Art Doggie Gets A New Look

This rusted out little lady has been living in my garden for many years, carrying pots of many colors and plants of many varieties. I felt it was time for a new look for her. Enter my trusty can of spray paint. She's now back in the garden with her buddies and happy to sport her new coat of bright purple!
garden art doggie gets a new look, container gardening, gardening, painted furniture
Converting my garden doggie was so much fun and only took a couple of hours to complete.
She was always plain metal with no paint, just like in this picture. So with no protection from the elements, she became very rusted. First I gave her a good sanding to remove the rust that had accumulated over the years of sitting outside in the weather. Then I hosed her down to remove any remaining dirt and dust.
Here she is all cleaned up and ready for some paint.
I taped over her eyes since I couldn't remove them and I also taped over her ears because I wanted to paint them a different color.
I used Rustoleum spray paint and gave her two coats in purple gloss. After the purple paint dried, I put a plastic bag over her head and sprayed her ears and tail with black spray paint. I then took a small craft paint brush and using acrylic craft paint in black, painted in her nose, whiskers and the lines on her forehead. Then I used red craft paint for the tongue.
She originally came with a black metal flower pot, but it was so rusted that when I removed it in order to do the painting, the bottom fell out. So I just tossed it and used this bright blue one as a replacement. It's much prettier than the black one was anyway. I love the way she turned out and with the bright paints I used, she really adds a pop of color to my garden.

• Rustoleum Spray Paint  (Home Depot)
  • Americana Acrylic Craft Paint  (Hobby Lobby)