Lace Inspired Door

I repaired a deep crack through my daughter's door in 2012, when we first moved into our above garage apartment, but the visible scratches and that tiresome crack were eyesores. So, I set out to paint a bold image on the door to distract from its imperfections.
lace inspired door, doors, painting
First, I used white paint to outline the largest shapes that extend from the left side of the door. I cringed with each large stroke, as I had no reference, or idea as to how the door would turn out. And also very little confidence. :)
lace inspired door, doors, painting
I added to the design bit by bit, stepping back, and taking in the picture as I painted. I revised lines, and added a copper accent color to soften the contrast between the white paint and dark wood stain, and add a touch of metallic interest.
lace inspired door, doors, painting
In the end, I was shocked with how much I appreciated this result. Seeing my daughter's expression when I revealed this surprise to her was the icing on the cake!
I compiled a short video of the process of painting my little girl's door for anyone who is interested in taking a similar leap. :)

• White paint (Behr, leftover from other projects)  (The Home Depot)
  • Copper acrylic paint (Martha Stewart brand)  (The Home Depot)
Yvonne @ Sunnyside Up-Stairs