Little Barn Door for Home Security

In the news lately there have been reports of people putting cameras on the outside of peepholes to see into your house/apartment/hotel room. I (Steph) started thinking about the peephole in my front door and possible ways of covering it when not in use.
After much thought, I came up with a DIY solution that is cute, functional, removable, and adds a little more security to my home. Mom helped bring the idea into reality and had most of the materials we used in her craft stash! Visit our blog to watch a video of it come together.
Watch the video.
We started with five large popsicle sticks. We made a guide to hold the sticks while we duct taped them together.
We measured and cut the sticks to cover the bottom and top. We easily cut through the sticks with scissors. We sanded the edges a little bit and glued the sticks in place.
To make the X pattern on the door, we measured and cut the sticks again. It took a few tries to get the right cut on the sticks, but we had plenty of extra sticks to practice with.
Before we glued the X in place, we stained the door and X-pattern. We used a dark stain we already had from another project. After the stain dried, we glued the X in place.
To make the barn door move, we used six Lego pieces. I have a large Lego collection so this came from my personal stash. If you're not into Legos, you can probably do this with small wheels from the hardware store. We added a half pin to a wheel, and attached a 1 x4 tile to that. The wheel rolls very smoothly.
We used Sugru to attach the handle and wheels in place.
We used Sugru to attach the metal bar to the front door and placed the door on that!
Check out our website for how-to video and more details.

25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Mother Daughter Projects

• Sandy

I have bobbins but don't know what to use for the part to hang them on the door with so they can slide?
    • Joe Jones

You can use those brass u shaped brackets and put them through the center of the bobbin and it’ll hang from it or use the clothes hanger and make a pair of u brackets

• Cheri

So cute! Wouldn't this be great on a Barbie house?

• Shelly Miller

Why not just use black tape like electrical tape

• Joanie

This is just sooooooo very cute......I love it. You two are a real team!! My Mom and M.I.Law have passed, so I REALLY love your site.......thank you!

• Carey

This is a cute idea. How about another option, you could use a hinge, and maybe a small picture to lift up, or even a memory Shell to connect with a hinge and it would be a memory as well! : ) You and your daughter made yours a memory as well! : ) Awesome!