Designs by BSB
Designs by BSB
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Asked on Apr 4, 2012

Ants! help!

Therese Ryan-HaasCin RKMS Woodworks
+13

Someone tell me they have success in keeping them out?! We have an exterminator, but these ants are persistent, I think they have grown immune to his treatments ... or our house resides on top of the world's largest ant hill!
We have bought Combat traps and Raid traps .. might slow them down, but no where near stops them. Anything out there that I can go by to keep them out of my kitchen?
  • KMS Woodworks

I've been using the Terro "borate" based ones at some clients that have ants...these seem to work the best. you can also do an exterior treatment with borax soaps as a second line of defense. http://www.terro.com/

• Try going to the Do It Yourself Pest Control on 78 towards stone mountain

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Terro is the ticket, from The Depot. Just give it a couple of days. A good exterior caulk job can help too. I don't feel sorry for the ants.

• Designs by BSB

ya know.. I use to know about Terro 20yrs ago - thank you all for the reminder!

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

20 years isn't what it used to be (-:

• Keller Pest Control

If your exterminator has not identified the ants to you then you need to find that out first. There are different treatment methods for different ants. IE: Carpenter Ants need to find the nest treat it and remove any harborages they prefer wet wood areas and will often nest near termites. Odorous house ants can be controlled by treating the exterior with Termidor and using Advion ant bait gel. (its like crack for ants they can't resist) There are numerous other types. One is called a pharoah ant and you cant use any chemical or they will spread. So first identify then treat accordingly

• Designs by BSB

my exterminator has been using the gel -- they only come into the kitchen area and go after the sweets. it usually works when he does put it out, but he only coms out every 3 months .. and w/o being able to treat the perimeter below our deck it leaves us susceptible to be targeted fast

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Take a little hand broadcaster, less than $10., and spread granular insecticide two feet around the perimeter of the house every couple of months.

• Melinda K

I have the same problem with ants, they keep coming in through my french doors. My cat likes to lay in the doorway and I'm wondering if Terro is safe to use around animals?

• KMS Woodworks

The terro gel "traps" have small ant sized openings, unless your pets are prone to eating plastic things found on the floor you should be fine.

• Designs by BSB

Unless someone does an army crawl through cob webs under our back deck, we cannot treat the perimeter on the back side of the house - where the breach is happening!

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Rig up a remote control toy.

• KMS Woodworks

Beckysue...is it possible to remove a single course of decking along the house? you could then apply the treatment from above.

• Cin R

I too have used Terro for years and takes a few days but is very affectine!

• Therese Ryan-Haas

I Third that Torro. No need to get anywhere for that to work. Ants do all the work for you. It is like a syrup. They come and eat the sweet goodness and take it back to their nest and feed it to the others. They will slowly die from it. So it may take about two weeks but it does work. My apartment building had ants bad despite having a exterminator every other month. I put this out a few times. The ants got worse than ever! But I think I killed all the ants in the building because I never saw another!