Lisa H
Lisa H
  • Chesterfield, MO
Asked on Apr 4, 2012

can you paint doorknobs?

Debbie KaukJeanette SLisa H
+10

• KMS Woodworks

Wood metal glass?...cabinet type door knobs or people doors. Just about anything can be painted...you just need to do the proper prep for the item. Most "commercial" door knobs are some type of base metal with a protective clear coat. Normally this is a type of Lacquer that seals it to reduce the chance of tarnish forming.

• Have not heard of any successful door knob paint jobs?! Are yours brass? What about treating the metal? Don't forget about the hinges!

• We've painted them before on cheaper flips. Charles with Peace Painting mentioned using XIM primer on a bathtub spigot I need to paint. If it works there it should easily work for doorknobs....but are these for cabinets or entry doors?

• Lisa H

brass door knobs...I can't stand the gold look! I will try one and see how it goes.....thank you.....

• Donna McCrummen

I would paint them too! But then I paint anything that doesn't move :-) Use a good primer - then a good paint - then seal it - I use varathane.

• ANITA G

yes, spray paint

• Lisa H

I spray paint everything

• Lisa H

painted these door knobs and I'm happy with them!

q can you paint doorknobs, doors, painting, windows
  • Donna McCrummen

Hey Lisa I love these. Great Job

• Lisa H

thank you!

• Jeanette S

I have to laugh about what is out these days! I have been in my house 42 years and it had dark, burnished knobs when I bought it. Then came brass & I fell for it! I bought the expensive brass bathroom fixtures. Saw orange and acqua then drab olive and mushrooms to ducks! I am at the point, what I have is what I have. I am not going to change out or worry about those sorts of things any longer. What I do from now on is simply for FUN! Oh by the way, my small bathroom floor tile is back the rage and in the right color believe it or not! Life does get funny if you live a long time!

• Debbie Kauk

i've painted door knobs andhardware as well as bathroom fixtures with great success. yes, you do need to sand and us a clear sealer. recently i've been using the chalk paint as a primer first because it adheres so well and then the paint adheres to it. i reccomend rustoleums hammered paints. i even painted the gold trim on a shower door and after 4 years it still shows no signs of wearing off or chipping. i've also learned that you can clean oil based painted out of brushes with gojo hand cleaner.