Asked on Apr 2, 2016

HELP!!! What is easiest way to cut/apply molding for wall frame?

SherrieJulie MoynaAudrey Soldano
+17

I know I am over thinking this project. My client has a wall in her office that I painted into a chalkboard. Now the tricky part...I need to frame it with flat base molding. I scored the wood for $5.00 each due to chips and scratches. Which I actually want since I will be distressing and chalk painting. I don't have help with my saw to actually mitre it. Is there a way to make straight cuts and make them fit at corners? Any help, tips or suggestions is really appreciated! TIA
Scored more than I needed of the wood. $5.00 each! Originally marked $12.50! (Happy dance)
This is what I am attempting. This picture is from Pinterest for reference only.
  • Jean Myles
    Jean Myles

They sell small plastic miter boxes at Home Depot or even local lumber stores. They are cheap under $10.00 . There are slots to guide your saw to make 45% angle cuts or straight cuts.. If you are in this kind of business and don't have a power miter saw or a chop saw then you will get lots of use from a cheap miter box . Good luck.

• Tracy Stokes-Wilson
    Tracy Stokes-Wilson

A quick stop at the hardware store for a plastic miter box and hand saw may be your only option and won't cost more than $20

• Dee
    Dee

If you are afraid to miter HD and Lowes sells corner pieces that you can add with only straight cuts in between. Therefore no angles need to be cut. I have used these for a mirror in my bathroom and it looks beautiful.

, I used the corners on this mirror Easy no angle cuts necessary
    • Julie Moyna
      Julie Moyna

I wish the guy would have mentioned that. I asked him the same question as my post! Thanks so much

• Melody Warren
    Melody Warren

I bought one of those plastic miter boxes and it was a total waste of money as I could not get a nice smooth cut to save my soul. Lowes has a small 7" blade miter saw that is lightweight and easy to use. I found several old pieces of lumber and practiced until I got pretty good with the angles.

• Bj Rutledge
    Bj Rutledge

the lowes corner pieces are squares with a circle grooved into the middle... you may have seen door frames in old homes like that.... your side and top boards just get a straight cut...

• Rae
    Rae

If you are in a small town try your lumber company and see it they would cut it for you. The cheap miter boxes are a waste of time and money since the "give" too much

• Julie Moyna
      Julie Moyna

Thank You Rae I don't know why this question was reported but I appreciate the suggestion

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

"You get what you pay for" (your client knows this as well)

• R Walter
    R Walter

If you don't want to spend the money to get the manufactured corners, you can cut squares out of mdf, or pine. Just get the thickness that you need to match your trim. Then you could add any decoration you want with glue or nails.

• KKAbsherwrites
    KKAbsherwrites

This is a tutorial for framing a mirror, but I saved it because it has straight cuts, which is what I need like you to make the frame. I am not a fan of the wood pieces in the corner, but that's just my personal preference. Here is the link: http://www.hometalk.com/3665487/diy-driftwood-mirror-frame-without-nails-or-screws

• Julie Moyna
      Julie Moyna

Thanks so much! I got the wood cut today. I now am curious about using that outdoor tape! Maybe I should use that and the glue since it's going straight on the wall?

• Audrey Soldano
    Audrey Soldano

If you go to a hardware store ask for liquid nails. It comes in a caulk tube and it adheres like a beast. No nail holes.

• Julie Moyna
    Julie Moyna

Hubby actually bought a miter for me! I got the wood cut, painted and white lime wax by HTP! Tomorrow is install so I'll post more pics then! Thank you all!

, These don t show angle cuts but I did my happy dance when I was finished in minutes with my cuts Wax is set and can t wait to show finished frame
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie

I would take it to Lowe's and have them miter cut it for you. I wouldn't use liquid nails if they want to take it down it will create damage for their walls. Pre drill holes to set nails and nail it on. It takes a little more time and a little more work but it also is doing things correctly. Also use chalking to close any gaps after you frame it.