Adding Industrial / Modern Wainscoting for a High Traffic Entryway

$50

The back door of my house gets a workout. This seems to be everyone's favorite place to come and go from. The dirt, and abuse this spot takes is epic! So I needed to make some updates that were equal to the abuse it would have to take. I added Galvanized metal tin as wainscoting to give the space a modern appeal with heavy duty traffic abilities.

adding industrial modern wainscoting for a high traffic entryway, diy, home maintenance repairs, painting, wall decor

This is with the back entryway complete. The coat hooks were actually found on clearance at my local home improvement store. They just needed a new coat of metallic grey paint.

This is how the back entry used to look like. Dark purple walls and a weirdly painted black and white door. I patched the holes left from wall anchors and we got to work

We installed pre-primed wood at the desired height, adding sideboard for the ends and a bottom piece as a baseboard. I also added a small top plate out of scrap lumber as a cap piece to add some detail to it.

Some before pictures showing before the walls got a new coat of paint. Another small project spawned off of this one. It finally became time to replace the light switch cover and due to how old it was, I had would have had to order a replacement. (nothing was identical was in stock at my local home improvement store) Or install a 4 light switch that was landscape (all in a row). Which any experienced DIY'er knows that means cutting the drywall, adding enough support for the electrical box and then more drywall patching.

So I bought new large button light switch that was in stock in order to save time and not have to do anymore drywall patching. We cut the galvanized metal tin to fit inside each opening and inserted it. Pre-drilled pilot holes into the tin and the drywall and where needed, we used drywall anchors to help secure the metal tin to the wall, so it wouldn't go anywhere.

Rustic & Refined

• Cindy

Is that door to the outside? Does it get or kind of messy in that area if you are using it as a dining room? Love love love the wall but worry about coat and shoe clutter

• Schnooky

Really like the all the things you put together with the tin. Where did you find the coat hooks??

• Judith

I like the finished product with the wainscotting, hooks and even chandelier all looking alike. Nice job !

• Jody

Looks great, thanks for sharing

• Cynthia E

Awesome we love the industrial look and are working on making our new home reflect that love. This is going to be a must down our hallway can't wait until we can start :)