Adding Industrial / Modern Wainscoting for a High Traffic Entryway

$50

The back door of my house gets a workout. This seems to be everyone's favorite place to come and go from. The dirt, and abuse this spot takes is epic! So I needed to make some updates that were equal to the abuse it would have to take. I added Galvanized metal tin as wainscoting to give the space a modern appeal with heavy duty traffic abilities.

This is with the back entryway complete. The coat hooks were actually found on clearance at my local home improvement store. They just needed a new coat of metallic grey paint.

This is how the back entry used to look like. Dark purple walls and a weirdly painted black and white door. I patched the holes left from wall anchors and we got to work

We installed pre-primed wood at the desired height, adding sideboard for the ends and a bottom piece as a baseboard. I also added a small top plate out of scrap lumber as a cap piece to add some detail to it.

Some before pictures showing before the walls got a new coat of paint. Another small project spawned off of this one. It finally became time to replace the light switch cover and due to how old it was, I had would have had to order a replacement. (nothing was identical was in stock at my local home improvement store) Or install a 4 light switch that was landscape (all in a row). Which any experienced DIY'er knows that means cutting the drywall, adding enough support for the electrical box and then more drywall patching.

So I bought new large button light switch that was in stock in order to save time and not have to do anymore drywall patching. We cut the galvanized metal tin to fit inside each opening and inserted it. Pre-drilled pilot holes into the tin and the drywall and where needed, we used drywall anchors to help secure the metal tin to the wall, so it wouldn't go anywhere.

Rustic & Refined

• Hb

what is hanging above the metal wall panels ( decorative something?) are these hooks? May I ask where you found them please.

• Tammy Hudson Edwards

She has it all listed in her materials list. To see more: http://www.rustic-refined.com/2016/03/diy-wainscoting-using-galvanized-metal.html

• Tammy Sea

She said in the post that they're hooks.

• Sandra Crosbie

HB.I looked on the blog. It says she got them at Home depot. $25 for the four of them. If you don't ask then you won't know.

• Renata

I too love those hook things. And I am one , for who knows why , that just hates to have to clk over to someones blog. So thanks for asking HB. N this next question u may have addressed in ur blog but like I said..not a switcher, lol. Anyways , I'm wondering if there r any sharp edges to the metal or if u had to do some sanding?

• Julie

I believe they're inset between the vertical and horizontal trim pieces to minimize that concern. Great thinking on their part.

• Rustic & Refined

Sharp as in sooner or later you will get cut? Then no. The edges are not sharp. But I wouldn't run my hand down the side of a panel really fast, the metal is thin and with enough pressure, it may cut. But not in simply handling it and inserting the panels between the pine wood trim. (We didn't have to wear protective gloves)

• Kim11775351

AllMakeoversFoyers Adding Industrial / Modern Wainscoting for a High Traffic Entryway Rustic & RefinedRustic & Refined Hometalker Merrillville, IN 76K Views 4450498 The back door of my house gets a workout. This seems to be everyone's favorite place to come and go from. The dirt, and abuse this spot takes is epic! So I needed to make some updates that were equal to the abuse it would have to take. I added Galvanized metal tin as wainscoting to give the space a modern appeal with heavy duty traffic abilities. adding industrial modern wainscoting for a high traffic entryway, diy, home maintenance repairs, painting, wall decor This is with the back entryway complete. The coat hooks were actually found on clearance at my local home improvement store. They just needed a new coat of metallic grey paint.

• Carol Hatch

I have flat tin sheeting as a backsplash all around my small country kitchen. What should I use to clean it when it does get dirty? So far I've just used hot water.

• Maude LaFountain

@Carol Hatch I use AWESOME to clean in my kitchen it cuts all the grease and grime off anything ...its just awesome !!! you buy it at the Dollar Tree or Walmart ....

• Carol Hatch

Thanks. I look into it. Just don't want something that will react with the metal and cause a stain.

• Callie

Oh yes awesome is the best!!!! Cuts through everything.... I use awesome daily in restroom & kitchen & walls but don't scrub walls hard it will remove paint

• Mcgypsy9

Carol Hatch: Do you have a sealer over your metal backsplash? If you bought this in sheets and did it yourself, you should really put a sealer on it or it will eventually start rusting.
  • Anna

Question Could this be used to cover the walls ina bathroom ( not as a surround, yet above it and on the other walls ?

• JOHN

I have this tin in both kitchen as a backsplash, and in my entire bathroom (aka the out house).... we live in a log home, and love the rustic thing.

, encased the toilet and it s hinged on the right side to be able to get to the valves etc easily, mason jars and galvanized pipe for the lights roofing tin on the walls, sawmill oak framed mirror mason jar and galvanized pipe for the lights limestone slab for the top and delta faucets and washtubs drilled out
    • Rustic & Refined

I think you could use it for almost anything you need. It is wavy and would add a certain amount of drama to the room. I have seen this product used as roofing for sheds, or dog houses, as I have used it for, also as "backing" for potting benches, or added to walls for dimension. If you try doing a web search "galvanized tin" or Galvanized metal...and search the pictures? You can find a ton of different ways people are using this. :-)

• Mcgypsy9

JOHN ..I love your bathroom mirrors and sink area! I have been searching for similar items and the pic helps with what I'm looking for.
    • Mcgypsy9

ANNA: yes for sure you can use this wherever you need it. If using around water though be sure you put a sealer on it or it will rust over time. If you are looking for a rusty look though, leave it as is but eventually the rust will also wear.
  • Joanie

It's unique and I love it!! A lot of things that come from YOUR thoughts and ideas are something to be proud of. You didn't copy did you? lol. Cleaning that area ought to be easy.........windex and paper tow.??
  • Lynn

this looks awesome! The metal you used is corrugated... Where did you purchase it?
  • Susie

Your result is very attractive. Your materials list links to FLAT galvanized panels. Where would one find the corrugated ones you used?
  • Kim

This looks fabulous. I am building a small log cabin (self-build from flat pack) the interior aesthetic will be a mix of wood and industrial...and was thinking about using this kind of material for the shower stall. Does anyone know how this would work in a wet environment???? Does it rust? I am new to the DIY thing but keen to learn.

• Barb C

Galvanized metal should not rust. I'm no expert but it sounds like a good idea to me. Goofy example, but do you remember old silver metal trash cans? They got grimy, beat up, etc. But not rusty. That's the galvanized part.

• Nana

this metal is usually used for roofing, so no rusting.

• Jlnatty

Very nice! Did you install some kind of door stop to prevent the door knob from banging into and possibly putting a dent or a hole into the drywall/galvanized metal sheeting behind it?

• R Walter

This, as with any metal, will rust if the top coat is scratched and then exposed to moisture. Just be sure if you are going to do this project that you be very careful with the sheets as they are thin and will bend or dent very easily. For stronger metal sheets you would need to go to a specialized metal sales outlet and ask for corrugated metal for a roof which is about 3 times thicker and thus much stronger.

• Gwen Bessire Eversole

We installed corrugated tin several years ago as a tub/shower surround at my sons house. Great rustic vibe and no issues with rusting yet. I silicone caulked all seams. Good luck!

• Paula P

Would I be able to put this up as a shower surround over the existing fiberglass shower surround?

• Cindy

Is that door to the outside? Does it get or kind of messy in that area if you are using it as a dining room? Love love love the wall but worry about coat and shoe clutter

• Regina

I believe if you look closely, the area in which this was done is a step below the dining area.

• Joe Jones

Yes it’s a separate room from dining room just outside it. Not only that but don’t worry about shoe and coat clutter it’s not your home.

• Rustic & Refined

That area is my eat in kitchen and with traffic always coming in and out that back door plus a 120 lb dog, most of the mud, hair and salt (during winter) thankfully stay down on the landing but the metal is super easy to clean a lot better then the paint I can tell you that! My husband is a construction mechanic and always comes home smelling of diesel and dirt.

• Cindy

It looks awesome!! I love it!!

• Schnooky

Really like the all the things you put together with the tin. Where did you find the coat hooks??

• Donna Makowski

Per the narrative, they were found at local home improvement store on clearance- just painted them great.

• Rustic & Refined

Lowes. They were a gross yellow and I painted them to suit my taste.

• Judith

I like the finished product with the wainscotting, hooks and even chandelier all looking alike. Nice job !

• Johanne Palange

Well done project, looks good. I like what you've put together for the entire décor. Looks inviting and lived in. I like the 2 styles of chairs, and there is actually fabric at the window. Nice work, but what could go wrong with the pooch supervising?

• Ann Plummer

How tall did you go?