Trench Planting Tomatoes

This is the first year that I'm planting my tomatoes in a trench rather than vertically. I have read that this method will allow the root system have more area to grow. I also upcycled a few milk jugs as a way to get the water to the roots without having to go through the soil. The milk jugs were cleaned and have small holes poked through to let the water go directly to the roots. These tomato plants are two Early Girls and a Celebrity. I can't wait to see what they yield! I also planted a little basil around them because basil makes the tomatoes taste better.
Trench planted tomato plants with slow watering upcycled milk jugs.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring

• Shari

My dad, who once owned a nursery, always used the "trench method" for his tomatoes and they were to die for. He always grew enough to give practically everyone in his little village! Glad it survives today. Give it a try. Trench method also allows for more roots if you remove lower leaves and lay it horizontally in the trench; obviously, everywhere the leaves were removed, roots will grow.

Shari

• Shari

Yes, I forgot to include this latter part, but you're absolutely right. And, if you snip out the bottom of one of those plastic Dixie cups and stick that either over the top or, if you split it all the way up the side, around the stem with the ragged bottom edge stuck just into the ground, you will indeed prevent those hideous tomato "worms" which always terrify me. They just can't penetrate it, eat it, or climb up over it.

Thank you for incuding the latter part of the instruction. Don't know I could forget it. When young, I just thought my dad was nuts for doing it the "trench" way. He would be so pleased at this exchange between us.

Shari