Trench Planting Tomatoes

This is the first year that I'm planting my tomatoes in a trench rather than vertically. I have read that this method will allow the root system have more area to grow. I also upcycled a few milk jugs as a way to get the water to the roots without having to go through the soil. The milk jugs were cleaned and have small holes poked through to let the water go directly to the roots. These tomato plants are two Early Girls and a Celebrity. I can't wait to see what they yield! I also planted a little basil around them because basil makes the tomatoes taste better.
Trench planted tomato plants with slow watering upcycled milk jugs.

• Shari

My dad, who once owned a nursery, always used the "trench method" for his tomatoes and they were to die for. He always grew enough to give practically everyone in his little village! Glad it survives today. Give it a try. Trench method also allows for more roots if you remove lower leaves and lay it horizontally in the trench; obviously, everywhere the leaves were removed, roots will grow.

Shari

• Shari

Yes, I forgot to include this latter part, but you're absolutely right. And, if you snip out the bottom of one of those plastic Dixie cups and stick that either over the top or, if you split it all the way up the side, around the stem with the ragged bottom edge stuck just into the ground, you will indeed prevent those hideous tomato "worms" which always terrify me. They just can't penetrate it, eat it, or climb up over it.

Thank you for incuding the latter part of the instruction. Don't know I could forget it. When young, I just thought my dad was nuts for doing it the "trench" way. He would be so pleased at this exchange between us.

Shari