Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL
Asked on Apr 5, 2012

What is this plant

Betty PatricioSue KieneGina
+25

I just found this on a huge bush at my rental property. I want one for my yard but don't know what it is. It is covered with the flowers.
q what is this plant, flowers, gardening
  • Susan

Looks like Pineapple guava, its an ornamental. Will get about 5 to 6 feet tall, like a small tree, or will bush depending on how you trim it.

• Sherrie S

Susan, thank you so much. I looked it up & you are 100% correct.

• Murals by Monti

This is so exotic. It looks like it would need a tropical environment to thrive.

• Bernice H

Wow! This is gorgeous! Lucky you!

• Sharon A

Don't know what it is, but it's awful pretty...looks almost artifical... leaves look alot like gardenia leaves, but the flowers done resemble anything I've seen living....

• Sherrie S

Sharon A, I cut off the flower & put it in a small vase to see if it would last an hour or so. As I look at it tonight it is still beautiful. I thought it looked artificial, too, but it isn't. Murals by Monti, it lasted through the coldest Florida weather & some of my cold hardy plants died because of the cold. We had a bad year. This plant is about 8' high and at least as wide.

• CAROL H

Very pretty!

• Sharon A

I have acouple of friends who are trying to find plants to garden with in FL...they're fairly new to living there, and have no idea what to grow other than Pointsettias, citrus, and catus type...they live in the Daytona and the Lakeland areas.

• Ann S

looks liks a gauve tree

• Ann S

i have one near my koi pond

Yes, definitely a pineapple guava, or Feijoa sellowiana. (It actually has been renamed Acca sellowiana but everyone seems to use the old name.) Very good large shrub or small tree for Florida and hardy into zone 8. It will take some salt spray as well so it's a very good choice for those on the coast. (Murals by Monti: it is widely grown in California as well.) I have one trained as a standard right off my back patio and hope it is soon blooming as beautifully as yours, Sherrie. The blossoms are edible and make a fanciful addition to a salad. The fruit is said to be tasty as well.

• Mau5206089

@Douglas Hunt you are so right. they are grown in zew zealand. like i said in my first comment, after flowering they bear fruit, absolutley yummy to eat.

• Teresa D

That is one funky looking plant! I know I'd be wrong but I would guess some mad scientist spliced some seeds and created this in a laboratory.

• Sherrie S

Douglas, you & Susan are right. Teresa D, whadda ya mean mad scientist? That is one neat looking plant. You're jealous, right?

• Teresa D

lol @Sherrie. It is pretty cool. It looks like it could devour insects though. *cue lightening flash and scary music*

• Lindy Hall

I've seen quite a few of those here, though I never knew what they were... in one townhouse community, they were treated as hedges... mixed in with wax myrtle & boxwood.... clipped into a square shape... (Of course, those idiot landscapers were also clipping the GARDENIAS like that, too!)

• Cathy

Love it.

• Sherrie S

@Cathy Thank you. I love it, too although I haven't seen blooms this year.

• Sandra Whittier

My Mother was always so proud of her Bottle Brush Shrub (Callistemon citrinus). I had to look at it every time I visited her in San Antonio, Texas. (Zone 7)

• Cinzia chiaramonte

It is feijoia

• DeAnn Padelo

It looks like a Bottle Brush to me. They are pretty common here in central Florida.

• Mau5206089

it is known as a fejoa tree. if u let it grow to it's full potential without clipping it back, it will fruit. the fruit are the same shape and colour of the leaves, and are absolutley sweet and gorgeous to eat. and the bee's love the flowers.

• Sherrie S

Maureenklomp I couldn't thank you here so I hope you see this post. Yes, that is the plant you described and I thank you. I will let part of it grow tall to see what it does.

• Gina

The common name is pineapple guava. I have never seen one so huge. They are delicious, Open and scoop the fruit out.

• Sue Kiene

It is very pretty and cannot blame you for wanting one in your yard too.

• Betty Patricio

This is a feijoa. Very tasty fruit. Cut in half and eat out with a spoon. Can be used for preserves and cakes as well.