Lanelle L
Lanelle L
  • Morrow, GA
Asked on Apr 5, 2012

Asparagus

Douglas HuntLanelle L
+2

Now that my asparagus is up and growing, do I need to pick the seeds off or let them fall? Think I read somewhere...can't find it again...they need to be picked to avoid them sprouting all over the bed.

Is this an established bed, Lanelle? Are you harvesting spears from it now? There shouldn't be anything with seeds on it during the harvest period.

• Lanelle L

No this is the first year with supposedly 2 year old crowns and they all look like ferns with seeds on them which is why I asked. I know once they get established they should not look this way.

In that case, I would remove the seeds. They are an indication you have female plants, which are less desirable in an asparagus bed since the seeds take energy from the plants and also produce new plants, which can lead to overcrowding. Since an asparagus bed will last for a long time, you might want to replace those plants with some of the new hybrids like Jersey Giant, Jersey Knight, Jersey Prince, Syn 53, Syn 4-362, UC 157 or Viking KBC, which have larger yields.

• Lanelle L

My asparagus is the Jersey Giant which is why I was surprised to see seeds.

Hmm, Lanelle. I wonder if you got the right plants.