Sandy
Sandy
  • Winona, MN

Volunteer trees large to small & how to kill an invasive grapevine.

SandyDouglas Hunt
+1

About 2 years ago I had to wear a cast on my left leg for about 9 months and the yard got away from me! I now have volunteer trees from 25' tall to 12" inches! Too many to count. What is the best way for me to kill off the stumps if I cut them down? Any other ideas? Also, I have a very invasive grapevine killing off my evergreens, how do I kill the grapevine once and for all? I had a tree trimming/yard clean-up crew come in about 4 years ago but it's a jungle again, the grapevine survived, and spending another $800.00 is out of the question. Please help! Any advise would be great!!! Thanks :)

Sandy, cut the trees and the grapevine as close to the ground as possible, then, using a foam brush, paint the remaining trunks with full-strength herbicide containing glyphosate. You will probably have to repeat the process, but eventually it will work.

• Sandy

Thank you Douglas! Can I find the herbicide with glyphosate at any gardening retailer? Will I need to be extra careful with my dog in the yard? Thank you again!

Yes, Sandy, at any garden center. Since you are painting it, not spraying it, there should be no damage to your dog, although it wouldn't be great for him to lick the freshly painted trunks.

• Sandy

Thanks Douglas I will give it a go! I really appreciate the advice!! Happy Memorial Weekend!