Bernice H
Bernice H
  • Woodburn, OR
Asked on Apr 5, 2012

clipping cat's claws..help

Sherrie SHolly PetersonBernice H
+24

I am assuming we have animal lovers on HT, so I need some help. My cat is 18 years old, she has never had her claws clipped, but now they are catching on fabrics etc. My question is: how do you do an OLD cat's claws , who has never had it done before ...and still survive? I mean ME, survive! Am I too off topic?
  • Susan

As much as I like to "do it yourself", I think I'd let a groomer deal with this-alteast the first time. She's not going to be happy!

• Sharon A

LOL...do understand your problem. My daughter-in-law is a groomer, and she will wrap the cat in a towel while someone hold them, she uses animal nail clippers to clip them...wrapping the cat insures they hold still (so you don't cut the blood vessel in the toe nails...which they can bleed to death from if it's bad) and it keeps everyone safe from kitty's leathal claws...would recommend you take your cat to the vet or a grooming place to have it done until you are both comfortable with it...it doesn't cost very much and is worth the hassle and peace of mind...I have 2 cats, they're used to me doing it, and I DON'T wrap mine...they aren't happy about it, but they put up with it, cause #1) Momma don't take no sass!, #2) I've never 'nipped' them (and believe me, I was nervous when I first started 3#) they know it'll be over real quick if they behave, #4) It doesn't hurt to bribe them with a treat afterwards!....Good luck, hope this helps!

• KMS Woodworks

One of our dogs is cranky like that...we have the vet do it when she gets drugged for teeth cleaned etc.

• Walter Reeves

This is me, bleeding, after trying to clip the claws of my mother's cat. My brother eventually came over with his Kevlar gloves. We wrapped the cat in a towel and things went much better.

q clipping cat s claws help, pets animals
  • Bernice H

haha Walter, that is exactly what I am afraid of! Pl;us I dont want to give her a heart attack! You all are helpful, I will probably take her to a groomer who is not intimidated by her. But if anyone else has any more ideas, I am open to them

• 3po3

While we're off-topic and talking pets, I saw this the other day and laughed really hard - it's sample entries from dog and cat diaries: http://jpetrie.myweb.uga.edu/journal.html

• KMS Woodworks

Shrink wrap or a few rolls of duct tape could also be used.

• Bernice H

Really laughing out loud @Thanks a lot KMS...can you imagine who would end up with the most duct tape on them????MOI! Maybe you mean , I can staunch the BLEEDING with duct tape??

• Jan O

I used to clip my cat's all the time. Just lovingly hold in lap, try one or two at a time and gradually let it get used to it

• Bernice H

Thanks jan O..but my girl is 18 years old, nothing new for her, she says, thank you. If I thought KMS' idea would work I would try it. But Maybe he means for ME to be wrapped in duct tape ! BTW KMS..do you like cats?Just wondering:)

• KMS Woodworks

We are dog people...We have a 14 year old wiener dog who is 95% crazy, a one eyed Petite Brabancon who is 100% cute, and white husky who is also half blind (glaucoma) who is 110% furry. http://www.flickr.com/photos/torisaur/6812744569/in/set-72157624728297409/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/torisaur/5243482253/in/set-72157624728297409

• Bernice H

@KMS Well dog's are much more cooperative,don't you think? I sometimes think I would like a dog, but then i would have to get up and take it for a walk everyday, , which hasnt sounded like fun to me.(I am a Cesars Fan) btw Have you read W Bruce Cameron's book , A Dog's Purpose? It is sooo good that I bought the book after reading. This dog has 3 lives, and doesnt know what his purpose is. How Cameron can think like a dog is beyond me, but he does here, and in his columns when his dog and cat have a conversation. Heartfelt reading! Yes, after that I wanted a dog. Maybe someday.

• Bernice H

@KMS Ok not fair, stirring the want a dog juices, your dogs are handsome and the little one too cute!

• Connie K

It takes two for my cat. My husband holds him and I trim his claws. A lot of it depends upon whether or not the cat likes to be held and if it allows its paws to be touched etc. I'd use a groomer or vet the first time and have them show you how to do it at the same time. A friend of mine has a cat that just sits there and holds out his paw like he's getting a manicure! Sadly, most of us who are owned by a cat aren't so luck.

• KMS Woodworks

Bernice...I have not read " a dogs purpose" but I do have a friend who has written a few great dog books. http://www.amazon.com/Angelos-Journey-Border-Collies-ebook/dp/B004RYW53U I have also read "Animals make us human" by Temple Grandin...it has a lot of inside for more than just dogs.

• Evelyn R

Yeah Bernice - NO. I did the towel thing when I gave a rescue her first bath! OMGosh, just let me say there's no towel in the world made to hold a cat who's freaked out! The curtain on the window over the kitchen sink was ruined, my blouse was bloody from the scratches and ripped and I was hurting. I never did get to rinse her off!

• Bernice H

ha!Ok Evelyn, making a note right now to call a groomer.

• Connie K

Good Choice, Bernice! Then you can see how she reacts to the groomers and decide if you want to do it yourself ......or set up the next appointment with the groomer.

• Sharon A

Don't forget if you take your cat to the vet, you can ask them if they will clip the cats nails while you are there, most will do for under $10...if they charge more, chances are their prices are high to begin with...if you live in the country, I've found the country vets are the best...they don't seem to be in the business for profit, but because they love working and being around animals that much...

• Sherrie S

Bernice, my vet cuts both dog nails with no extra cost when I bring them in for their yearly exam. However, they are BIG inside dogs and don't have the opportunity to fix their nails naturally by running outside. My girl dog goes once a month for nail trim & the boy goes every 15 days to a pet place. I find the 15 day thing kinda outrageous but his nails grow terribly fast.

• Bernice H

Can you beleve i am such a slug? I have not taken her in yet to get her nails clipped, procrastination, and life, just keeps getting in the way. We just had new carpet installed adn I am concernd her nails will get caught on the threads, but she seems to be ok with it. I am also concerned , since she is 19 now, that the trauma will be too much for her.

• Evelyn R

I've been absent from here because of the very same reason - life! Ya know, if she's doing OK, I'd let her be and not put her through it at her age. I think you're right.

• Bernice H

Thanks Evelyn.. that makes me feel better! :)

• Sherrie S

I agree with Evelyn R because of kitty's age.

• Bernice H

Thank you Sherrie, chichi thanks you too!

• Holly Peterson

Start by wrapping the cat in a towel making sure that all it's paws are tucked tightly inside it. Hold the cat (or have another person help by holding the cat). Reach in and take out one paw making sure that the other 3 are still tightly tucked into the towel. Gently push on the paw to get the cat to extract it's claws. Making sure you have plenty of light to see, take a clippers (if you don't have a cat nail clippers you can use a large toe nail clippers) put it on the nail and look for the quick of the nail (it's where the nail is no longer clear) and clip the nail making sure not to clip the quick - clip only where the nail is clear. Once you've done all the nails on that paw, tuck it back into the towel and grab another. Hope this helps!

• Sherrie S

Yup @Bernice H you should consider kitty's age and don't forget your age. Emergency rooms are not fun.