My First Solo Project - Guest Bathroom Blah to Beachy

$330
1 Week

We had built our house two years ago and had never finished the guest bathroom. It was blah, to say the least.

View of the sink from the doorway.
View of the sink from the doorway.
View of the light from the doorway.
View of the light from the doorway.
View of the toilet from doorway.
View of the toilet from doorway.

Our poor guests had nothing to look at while they were....uh....well....doing their business. I decided, for our guests' sake, something needed to be done about that. I decided on a beachy look. I wanted wood on the walls above the sink and the toilet.

i first solo project guest bathroom blah to beachy, bathroom ideas, home maintenance repairs, paint colors, painting

The wood I chose was none other than cedar fence slats at Lowe's. I bought two different sizes--4" and 5.5" wide. While at Lowe's, I picked out the stain which was the "Island Water" color of the water based Minwax stain. First thing I did to the wood, I applied a white primer and let it dry. Next, I applied the blue stain with a sponge brush. Then, I waited just a few minutes (mainly because I'm impatient) then wiped it off with an old cloth. Lastly, I sanded it with 180 grit sand paper.

Sorry about the blurry image
Sorry about the blurry image

After they were painted and sanded, they were ready to attach to the wall. I used my husband's nail gun and level and nailed them to the studs. (It was my first time and to say I was scared stupid is the understatement of the year.) Since the boards didn't end up being EXACTLY the same length, I added a thick rope in the corners to hide the gaps. (This can be seen in the final pics at the end.)

For the chair railing, I nailed 1.5" trim to the wall above where I had hung wainscoting wallpaper. (**WARNING** You might want to use actual wainscoting if you have cats. :-\ )

I used a hot glue gun and glued five rows of rope on the wooden trim. Believe it or not, that rope is going NOWHERE!

New light!
New light!
New mirror!
New mirror!
Framed vacation mementos (shells and such)

I still have a few more touches to add, like a towel holder and some kind of wood art on the empty wall. I'll post photos when I'm done. This was my first SOLO project. Everything was done by "yours truly". This project is what began my love for woodworking. Thankfully, I had a wonderful teacher (my hubby!)

UPDATE...

i first solo project guest bathroom blah to beachy

If you have cats, do NOT use beadboard wallpaper.

Check out my latest Hometalk post on how I fixed the unfixable. The link is below.

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/41160459/my-first-solo-project-guest-bathroom-blah-to-beachy-revised

• Jill Regester Moriconi

I’ve been wanting to do a project like this for a long time. I’d like to know how you put the wood behind the toilet? If you did this yourself, I’m guessing you didn’t remove the toilet first.

• Nora

I thought u said solo? like us single gals,or widowed!like me,but your best helper was a hubby!I figured you used a book or something to reference,where did your plans come from?

• Dianna Blumricl

Are those window boxes with the shells?

• Susie

Heather, That looks so nice!! Tammy, just gather all the supplies you will need and then send hubby on a nice extended weekend with his best friend and do it anyway. Lol

• Heather McKinney

Agreed! After hearing this from multiple people, I've learned how lucky I am to be married to a guy that lets me do whatever I want to the house.

• Carol Cole
    31 minutes ago

OMG I love it. That rope trim really made it look great. I love it>