Jimmy S
Jimmy S
  • Brooks, GA
Asked on Apr 5, 2012

I have found three of my rose buds chewed in half by a green looking grub?

Donald JohnsonFlowerscapes Garden Design & LandscapingSouthern Trillium LLC
+4

• 3po3

I have heard that spraying rose bushes with a solution of water with garlic, onion and cayenne pepper can help ward off grubs. It's a cheap, easy thing to try, anyway, as most of us already have all three of these things on hand.

Jimmy, it's important to know exactly what you have to know the best means of control. Try to take a picture and post it here, or put a couple in a plastic bag, put that it the freezer, and then take it to your local extension service office.

• Jimmy S

Thanks Steve G. Shoot I might eat that myself. Sounds like the start of my chilli. You are right Mr. Hunt. This had the skin of a grub, but I dont think grubs are green. I saw another one this morning and observed it closer and it moved like an inch worm. I do not know if inch worms get as big as this.(about 5-6 inches). I have an old camera. only 2 megapixels but i will see what I can get. I have seen these either after sunset or before sunrise.

• 3po3

Good point, Douglas. Jimmy, I know what you mean about the chili. I always skeptically sprinkle cayenne pepper around a flowerbed that a neighborhood cat loves to "fertliize," and I'm thinking, "but this is delicious, how does it work to keep him away." Sure enough, it works. Anyhow, in terms of photos, post what you can. As long as it is close-up, we can probably figure out what it is.

• Southern Trillium LLC

Jimmy, I was just having a discussion with an associate of mine after he arrived home and found the leaves on his roses chewed to pieces. The culprit was sawfly larvae. They look similar to caterpillars. Try this link and see if it matches what you have. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/6953_01.html And for a great description of how to control them, Walter Reeves already has an article on it. http://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/rose-sawfly-identification/

• I got 'em too. I am going to try Sevin, if I can find those ugly buggers.

• Donald Johnson

maybe tobacco worms