Jim P
Jim P
  • Fairburn, GA

Repairing rotted door jambs.

My customer had 6 door jambs that had rot in about the same place and size. These were large double door units and I did not want to remove the unit and replace the complete jamb.
I cut out the rotted area and cut the brick molding a little higher than the removed area.
You can buy at the big box store replacement door jambs. I cut and fitted a replacement piece. I have a router bit to cut a slot the thickness of a biscuit. I cleaned the area well and put a bed of caulking in. Then secured the replacement piece with the biscuit, shims, gorilla glue and brads. The brick molding was put on and it covered the slot for the biscuit and gives strength to the repair.
This is the finished repair  waiting for paint. The material for this job was less than $75.00, but a lot of labor. I hope that this will help someone in the future.
This is the finished repair waiting for paint. The material for this job was less than $75.00, but a lot of labor. I hope that this will help someone in the future.

• Nancy

Nice repair job. Did you figure out the reason they were all rotten? No gutters or bad planning of run off water?
    • Jim P

Most of the weather came from that direction. Also, not that well caulked and sealed.
  • Katrina A Czachor

What if you have a door with the side windows and there is not there as well? Do you have to replace the whole thing or would this work for it? I do not have bricks on my house.

• Jim P

Not sure that I understand your question. Take a picture of the problem for me to see.

• Anna Ibarra

Thank you so much. AS a woman, you kind of hate being taken for granted and often I am taken a a little woman who doesn't work, while hubby is a work. Not the case at all. So thank you for sharing this skill. I think I can do it in a place I need it.
  • BillG

I would repair with vinyl. Also take out all the brick mold (both sides) completely and replace with new vinyl. One problem I don't see here is if the 2x framing isn't flush behind the door jamb. With bricks in the way, can be very tedius bringing it out flush so you can nail the new jamb to it, making it flush with the top existing piece. Very rarely is the framing right up against the jamb. The other issue is you have to cut a saw kurf (vertical) in the new wood piece so the weather seal will fit into it. A saw blade set to 1/4-3/8" high will work fine. I find that this kind of damage goes into the interior. You have to remove the interior door trim to get all of it out. These patches usually start to show after a few years. If you want a permanent fix, have to take it out completely and go with vinyl (or other waterproof matl).

Another way is to rough patch the rotted area with wood filler. Remove the brick mold completely (both sides), skin over/fill in the existing damaged jamb with bondo type filler. Sand until flush with undamaged area. Then "skin over the jamb (completely sill to top) with vinyl. If the other side is ok, just skin over that with vinyl. Seal any joints and seams with good clear caulk. Then install new vinyl brick mold (entire piece) and paint. Even do the top brick mold if it looks like water is getting to it. Not that difficult.

Not matter how you do it, is is labor intensive and is relatively expensive if you hire someone.