Robert L
Robert L
  • Quakertown, PA
Asked on Apr 6, 2012

My son is getting married at our farm in PA on 9/9. Can anyone recommend flowers that we can plant that will bloom then

GrandmaquiltsDeeRosanne Cannon-Schiedel
+10

• 3po3

Here is a good list. You might take this list to your local nursery and see which of these they have that does well in your climate, etc.

Robert, you can give your son's wedding a wonderful cottage-garden feel by planting a stand of cosmos and cleome. They'll bloom like crazy until the first hard frost, providing you a bounty of material for bouquets. For a hotter color scheme, plant zinnias and mix them with helianthus or helenium. If you know where on the farm the wedding is going to take place, plant a couple of decent-sized paniculata hydrangeas to form a wonderful backdrop for the ceremony.

• Miriam I

That same question was asked about an Oct 21st wedding. Lots of great ideas here: http://www.hometalk.com/151906/white-flowers-in-october

• Robert L

Thanks, Steve, for the list. And would you believe my son and his fiance live in Fort Collins now... and of course, they love it there! Small world!

• Erica Glasener

Asters and sunflowers, stagger the starting times for the sunflowers and you will have a better chance of getting lots of blooms. Douglas is right about the zinnias, cosmos and cleome.

• Trish M

I'm With Douglas..Maybe Toss in a Few Rose Bushes for the Drama and smell...Snap Dragons are my Fav..They Look awesome and Come in Tons of Colors and Sizes ..Also Marigolds will cut down on the Bugs.You can also Cool your Favorite Spring Bulbs and Plant them a few weeks before in pots just for fun..Have Fun..

• 3po3

How funny. Yeah, I love Fort Collins, too. I generally like bigger cities, but Denver's close enough and big enough for me to get my fix without dealing with all the city hassles every day.

• Evelyn R

OMGosh, you've got almost the world-wide-choice at your fingertips up there. Nasturtiums in pots, Morning Glories are my favs. It depends on the colors they want.

• Evelyn R

OH, and, best wishes to them!

• Rosanne Cannon-Schiedel

Cut rose bushes back hard and in three weeks you will have blooms, my boss at the nursery told me he does that with white roses and charges a lot.

• Dee

While driving on the PA turnpike, I always notice a few sunflower farms that are in full bloom that time of year. There are so many varieties of sunflowers now-any size, texture and color combo, and best of all, so easy and inexpensive to grow,

• Grandmaquilts

ASTERS