Asked on Apr 4, 2016

How do you kill Grass moss?

Candy caneMelinda EdwardsKay
+7

How do you kill it while remaining dog safe?
    Janet Pizaro

homeguides.sfgate.com/moss-out-grass-safely-pets-104788.html

• Kim Long
    Kim Long

salt

• Della Katon
    Della Katon

Won't salt also kill the grass.. I have so much moss would need a salt mine.

• Candy cane
    Candy cane

Mix 1 gallon of vinegar, 1/2 cup of salt and 2 Tb. Dish detergent. Put in a spray bottle and liberally soak the area. It kills and prevents anything growing back. Works on any kind of plant. I use it anywhere I don't want growing plants in put it in a squirter bottle for between cracks in sidewalks or any small places. Don't get it on any plants you want to keep!

• Grass will not thrive and grow where moss grows. You have acidic soil and therefore you have 2 choices- live with the moss because it is green and alive or treat the area to bring the soil to the right balance so you can grow grass which requires lime, fertilizing, and treating the moss. Pouring salt, homemade weedkiller, or any other herbicide will most likely kill everything- the homemade weedkiller only kills foliage so weeds most likely will return and too much can actually harm the soil. PLEASE do not ever dump salt- that will destroy your soil. Your soil is a living organism and moss loves bad soil.

• Kay
    Kay

Lime. Not green limes! Lime as in a soil supplement. Rake the moss out. Spread lime on the area that had the moss. Later add some potting soil to the area and use good grass seed. The soil is lacking lime so that moss will grow and grass won't. Dog safe and good for the soil.

• Melinda Edwards
    Melinda Edwards

I think the one with the vinegar would probably work well. I do not know if there is a special type of vinegar. Seems I read about it somewhere. Google it.

• Candy cane
    Candy cane

I used both cider and white vinegar. Both work.