Kathy
Kathy
  • Peabody, MA

Is painting a panel wall a good idea?

Pat5734219KathyPat S
+3

I have a living room that is paneled on all 4 walls. We would like to paint it, Any tips on what to use? Also ...does anyone have pics of what it might look like?
Tks
  • Linnya

I have done it a couple of times in different houses. I actually took a chain to it after I painted one house to give it that aged look. One trick is that you dont worry about it being perfect like dry wall. I have done both. I just wish I had pictures to show you.

• Kathy

Thank you

• Bernice H

OOHHH Kathy..my whole house is panel. Older dbl wide mobile home. I hated the "wood paneling. Mine of course was veneer. We cleaned the walls well with liquid spic and span because it evidently doesn't have any oil in, you could use TSP. It is really necessary to clean it well, especially if it is veneer etc, then apply a good primer, one or two coats, then paint away! Use a big thick roller which will cover the ridges...indentations ...what ever you call them, and you wont have to go over them with a little brush after ward. My house is held up with paint, I have painted each wall so many times. Check out my profile posts, and you will see some of my walls. GO FOR IT GIRL!! And show some pictures! We live for them here! !!!! ps I just scrolled through my posts and there are several pictures of my walls, and way at the bottom my bedroom ......

• Pat S

My home was all dark paneling. Started by cleaning it, prime and painted some walls white but I'm now using color. Most of the panels have that strip in between to cover gaps but I am also painting a beach mural down the hall so will take those strips off and fill in with a putty/spackle. For the rooms I used Benjamin Moore paint and Kiltz primer. I hope these pictures help.

q is painting a panel wall a good idea, paint colors, painting, wall decor, in the left corner you can see the dark paneling I used Kiltz primer and painted an aqua over it The underneath was dark panel too is primer and painted yellow as is the kitchenq is painting a panel wall a good idea, paint colors, painting, wall decor, excuse the mess but this is the dark panel painted whiteq is painting a panel wall a good idea, paint colors, painting, wall decor, Here I primed the walls and then used 2 shades of driftwood Minwax stain to go with the boardwalk floor I put downq is painting a panel wall a good idea, paint colors, painting, wall decor, to walk down the hall with mural acrylic paintsq is painting a panel wall a good idea, paint colors, painting, wall decor, This is in the living room the other walls are just aqua
  • Kathy

Thanks. The pics help.

• Pat5734219

Prime it with Kil's first to stop the paneling from weeping. I didn't do it the first time I painted paneling and it weeped till I had seven coats of paint on it. Next time, just one coat of Kils and 1 coat of good wall paint. Looks really neat even with the seams showing.