Donna S
Donna S
  • Roswell, GA
Asked on Apr 6, 2012

Landscape project questions...

Kathy BitzanFlowerscapes Garden Design & LandscapingDonna S
+7

I have a landscape project that I want to have done in my yard. First, I wanted to know if anyone knew a ballpark figure of what it might cost, and if anyone could recommend a good landscaper in the Alpharetta, GA area.
I have an overgrown garden in my front yard. I want to clear the whole thing and sod it over. Maybe I'll keep the tree in the center (the boys want something to climb), but I want the rest gone. If I had my way, I would transplant the bushes to other places in my yard, but if it is easier, I'd just as soon get rid of the whole thing. The tree must also go. It is really ugly and has horrible prickly seed pods that fall everywhere in my yard.
I'm thinking it may cost somewhere around $1,000, but that may not be anywhere near what it would be. Any suggestions and recommendations? BTW, I'd do it myself, but I'm a total black thumb and don't have the time to devote to it.
q landscape project questions, gardening, landscape
  • Irene S

do a little at at a time

• LandlightS

From the looks of where you want to put sod after removing shrubs and trees, my uneducated guess is that you are at least $5000.00 off budget. I can give you two names of professional landscapers and one of a yard service guy who could accomplish what you want on a budget. All are local to Roswell. Call me or email to: landlights@gmail.com.....or send a message here. Gary PS: It looks like a Martins Landing neighborhood....if so, call me

That overgrown bed is certainly not adding to the curb appeal of your house. There are many landscapers who are members of Hometalk and in your area who have shown some great work here. You can search for them using the box at the top of the page and the dropdown menu for contractors.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Donna, it depends on the quality and level of the work you want done. I advise that you make sure your tree removal company has liability insurance. When you contract with the company get clear information on whether or not they will remove all the tree debris and if they also will grind the stump down. The other stuff is not a big deal to do with a tractor and some labor. Looks like maybe a pallet of sod (500 sq feet)?...and some good soil added and your done! Is that Bermuda grass that you have? I can't tell from the picture (too much pollen blurring my vision!)

• Southern Trillium LLC

I think Landlight's estimate is a little high. If I can tell correctly, you want to remove the larger tree which is the sideways photo. That is a sweetgum. You would probably spend $400-$600 to have a tree company remove just that one tree. If you had more trees being removed, the price per tree is much lower. The cost to clear the island, dispose of the everything, and install new sod should be within a range of $1,000-$1,500. I would say that if all you are putting back is sod, and not transplanting the shrubs, as that costs more than just ripping them out, then you should be looking at ~$2,000. Again, without actually standing there and looking at it, it is always a little tricky to tell exactly the size and amount of debris. Disregarding the tree removal, which a tree company would do, a 2-3 person crew with a small machine could be done in a day. And the only expenses are the dump fee, and the sod, which looks to be only a pallet. Just being honest here about the cost.

• Donna S

Thanks everyone. After discussing this with hubby...I think we'll go with Irene's suggestion and make it a long-term home project.

• Sherrie S

Donna, doing the trimming and weeding, grass planting and clearing out the beds could be a good home project. Cutting large trees requires more than the desire to remove them. It is dangerous. Get qualified licensed people to do that job.

• Donna S

we may just suck it up and leave the tree. Or invest one day to get rid of it.

• Check out American Patriot Tree. Scott just took out a full grown river birch for my client for $250. Including grinding the stump and runaway roots.

• Kathy Bitzan

I would definitely make some calls to three or four different companies and get some ideas and prices. especially if they are free, or you can have them do the worst of the project and finish yourself. I have done this and makes it easier and a win win for both the company and for us.