Leisa Hart
Leisa Hart
  • Silver Spring, MD

Laundry Room Pallet Wall

$20

BEFORE

For years my laundry room has been dull and boring. I'm determined to liven it up and make it inviting. So, I'm starting with a pallet wall.

I removed everything from the walls. It was good to see the ugly plastic coated corner shelving gone. After removing the slop sink, I stud out the wall. The copper piping represents my water supply and shut off going to my refrigerator. I needed to use suds instead of furring strips because of the need to conceal the water line.

I used metal stud straps to ensure that I didn't shoot nails into the pipe.

I made pretty good time getting the planks on the wall.

This part was tricky but I'm not afraid of minor electrical work. Just make sure the power is OFF
AFTER

Finished! I used the leftover pallet pieces and a dresser top, from a long discarded dresser, to make a sink base.
A year later! Still looking good.
Several inquired about things like storage, how it looks a year later, etc. So I took a pic today, 4/5/17, to hopefully quell any concerns for the above as well as my safety.  

• Angie1183

We had a pallet wall in our house in WI - where we already had wooden studs inside the wall - we brought pallets to our new house to make a new pallet wall in Fl - we hace metal studs - so I see the idea of using wood on the outside of the wall for studs but how did you make sure those were secure?

thanks!
    • Leisa Hart

Thank you for inquirring.I used a stud finder. I use the Zircon Multiscanner I520 One Step Studsensor. It can be used to find wood and metal studs, as well as electrical lines.
  • Diane Schule

What was that vented, metal, unplugged, silver-looking box that was next to the sink in the Before picture? What did you do with it? This project looks GREAT, by the way!

• Leisa Hart

It was a reverse osmosis water treatment system. It stopped working years before. I thought that I would have it repaired, but when I began this project, it gave me the "courage" to give it to bulk trash

• Debbie

maybe i missed this--how did you get the electrical plates back on. i did a tile job once and i had a hard time getting the plates back on, this is way thicker.

• Leisa Hart

I had to use junction box extenders. They can be found in the electrical section.