CD Mosaic Birdbath

$10

Okay so for those of you who might actually still have some old cd's lying around- this is the perfect craft (assuming you no longer listen to them). And for you young in's- go hit up a thrift store! We have been super excited to add onto our zest little garden. From new plantings and labels to garden art- the list keeps growing! I think one of the best parts about gardens are that anything really goes! After all, it's supposed to be an adventure and show growth and creativity, right? So here is a little combo or creativity mixed with recycling too!

Start by breaking your Cd's into smaller pieces. Now keep in mind these little pieces are not only sharp but they like to fly everywhere the minute you snap them in half. So to fix these problems I simply placed my Cd's in a canvas bag and broke them up inside. Sometimes it was a bit more difficult or the pieces would be larger so I grabbed some scissors and snipped them into smaller more unique shapes.

Here's at least ten CD's broken up to get some good solid pieces to choose from.

Next, wipe down the saucer surface of any dust or debris.

I applied a thin layer go glue big enough for a section to work on in 5 minutes or so. You don't want your glue to start drying on you while you find the perfect pieces to create patterns. Baby steps!

Keep in mind when you are lying out your pieces that some sides are shiny and others are more iridescent depending on the side of the cd. After I complete my entire saucer I let the glue cure for at least 48hrs before grouting.

Next I mixed my basic grout that I bought from the hardware store and used a popsicle stick to scrape on amounts to fill in the gaps.

DISCLAIMER: After applying my grout and letting it sit I began to wipe away the light film that appeared over the cd's but I noticed it was also wiping away some of the shine on the cd's- such a bummer!! So with that said I began to wipe very lightly and preserve the shine a bit but I wish there was a way to save it more!

All in all I am SUPER excited about the completed project!

I put the saucer on an old wire plant stand I had but you could get creative with the stand too!

XO,

Sam

15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Zest it Up

• Auri

Maybe an acrylic sealing spray would bring the shine back?

• Maryann

Does it have to be grout? Can you use Mod Podge. It dries clear

• Ruth

If one doesn’t have old CD’s, what else could I use?

• Mjxfingers

yard sales, garage sales, Freecycle.com - there are many places to find CDs.

• Sharon guy

those old cd,s are worth megs bucks, check ebay to see what is selling before you break

• Judy Gotz

Mod Podge before you grout, but let your glue dry overnight.