Audrey
Audrey
  • Peachtree City, GA
Asked on Apr 7, 2012

I would like to patch the cracks in my driveway. I read about a fairly easy to use product but cannot remember the name

Its Really Concrete, Inc.Amazing Improvements and GaragesKMS Woodworks
+2

Any ideas? Some cracks are just cracks and some have smallish chunks missing. Also along the front curb larger chunks are missing on the lawn side.. Can these be repaired economically?
  • KMS Woodworks

is this a concrete drive or asphalt?

• Audrey

It is concrete

• KMS Woodworks

I would go with the leveling sealant from PL / Loctite. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_seal_sl/overview/Loctite-PL-Polyurethane-Self-Leveling-Concrete-Crack-Sealant.htm I runs about 6 to 8 bucks a tube at my local hardware store. Make sure you clean out as much debris as possible first and follow the recommendations on the tube.

• Silka also makes a similar material for the Diy'r. I believe HD is a distributor. Quickcrete also makes a 2 part crack filler which can be sourced there as well. Doing anything is a big help in long term durability of the concrete as water stays out of it. Water is the biggest reason for all the damage we see. Keeping a sealer on your concrete also keeps water out. Unfortunately very few think about maintaining their concrete.

• Its Really Concrete, Inc.

1st, what's economical ? those smallish chunks are probably called ' spalls ' & are caused by the individual pieces of conc moving against each other & ' grinding ' the incompressibles against the conc crack faces,,, movement is caused by temperature swings as solids expand in hi heat & contract in lo temps,,, after repairing the spalls ( if necessary ), the joints should be sealed to prevent incompressibles lodging inside the joint & causing further spalling when the conc expands. the larger ' chunks ' can probably be repaired using proper patching techniques ( base compaction, steel tie rods, etc ). It all comes down to what's economical. my driveway was installed 7yrs ago - i didn't use either conc sealer OR joint sealant however there is a good joint pattern which is prime importance. IF you don't have that, look for repairs to rear their head